Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Install Driver For Serial To Usb

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 novirusplease

novirusplease

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:08 AM

I have a laptop P4 3.0 Ghz which has only USB ports (no serial) and runs under WinXP Home edition.
I bought an adapter cable serial to USB. This cable comes with a driver "Huge Pine Serial to USB". The .exe file is to be run before plugging the cable onto the PC. Once run, the cable is recognised as a "USB-UART Controller" but not as a COM port. To get a COM port, the driver must be fully installed.
When plugged in, the install Wizard starts and invites to install the new hardware. I then force the wizard to install the "Huge Pine serial to USB" driver from the list. The installation is stopped after a few second and a window opens up which either say "access denied" or "data unreliable".

I first though the driver was the problem but I could easily install this driver on my desktop PC and it works fine.

Does anyone knows anything about this problem, a solution?
Any guidance is warmly accepted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:54 PM

By chance, do you have any of the following turned on: firewall, anti virus, malware protection etc.? Any of these programs could stop installation, as it's happened to me on more than one occassion.

I'd also check to make sure that windows is up to date, including (specially) then critical updates. The drivers might be looking for something new(er) in windows, or vice versa.

Let us know if this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:57 PM

All firewall, anti-virus and malware protections are turned off, but it still says "data unaccessible" (not unreliable as previously stated, translation error).
The OS had already installed the last WinXP update.
Is there anyone having a clue about the problem?

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:10 PM

I'm guessing that the drivers on a cd...try copying the drivers over to your hard drive and then try installing them.

Also, you can try letting windows find the drivers via the internet.

By chance, are the drivers zipped (compressed)?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:21 AM

I actually copied the driver on the harddisk the first time before trying to install it.

#6 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:21 AM

I am afraid that no one can solve my problem... although seemingly simple.
Thanks anyway.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:45 AM

Also, you can try letting windows find the drivers via the internet.

By chance, are the drivers zipped (compressed)?

Have you tried letting windows find the drivers via the internet?

Are the drivers zipped? If so, have you unzipped them to their own folder then tried to install them (obviously not applicable if their not zipped/compressed).

I'll try to get some other folks in on this to see if they have any other ideas :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:53 AM

The files are not zipped and are copied to the PC's harddisk before installation.
The install wizard find the right driver on the HD but cannot complete installation (access denied, data unaccessible).
I bought another USB to serial cable. The driver seems to be different as it does not refer to Huge Pine but to Prolific Technology.
I uninstalled all anti-virus and inactivated the Windows firewall, but still the installation cannot be completed.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:48 AM

There's not much info about either of these devices on the web. What are you trying to connect via the Serial Port? Are there any serial port settings available in the laptop's BIOS (the BIOS may not support the serial conversion that the USB is trying to do).

Since it works fine on your desktop, but not your laptop, I'd expect that it was due to a limitation of your laptop's hardware. I'd check the installation directory to see if there's a log file that may shed some light on what caused it to fail. Also, try checking your Event Viewer for any error messages that may shed some light on this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 zek

zek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:50 AM

I have a laptop P4 3.0 Ghz which has only USB ports (no serial) and runs under WinXP Home edition.
I bought an adapter cable serial to USB. This cable comes with a driver "Huge Pine Serial to USB". The .exe file is to be run before plugging the cable onto the PC. Once run, the cable is recognised as a "USB-UART Controller" but not as a COM port. To get a COM port, the driver must be fully installed.
When plugged in, the install Wizard starts and invites to install the new hardware. I then force the wizard to install the "Huge Pine serial to USB" driver from the list. The installation is stopped after a few second and a window opens up which either say "access denied" or "data unreliable".

I first though the driver was the problem but I could easily install this driver on my desktop PC and it works fine.

Does anyone knows anything about this problem, a solution?
Any guidance is warmly accepted.

I have acquired the same device and lost the driver for it. Kindly send the driver to my email: ezekiel@uplink.com.ph
Thanks!

#11 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:06 AM

sounds like they are not running as administrator or do not have administrator privilege.

Edited by Robert Isbell, 21 November 2007 - 11:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users