Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Click One Icon And 7 Light Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 theg1819

theg1819

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:54 AM

the other day i was on the computre and i tried to do i virus scan but when i clicked the icon 4 other icons lit up and i ended up going to internet explorer. then i tried to drag the mcafee icon to the center of the screen but it took 5 other icons with it then they multiplied versus moving. thinking i was screwed i tried to open mcafee from my tool bar and was succesful but nothing came up in the scan....so i started deleting lime wire...yes i had lime wire and i didnt know it was that bad till now...when i got to my c drive i tried to delete lime wire which was the 7 th option down, all the above icons highlighted also. so i dragged it to the top and deleted it ..and my computer seems fine..but i was told that its prolly not.....i just want to monitor bank accounts and shop ebay, help me save my computer..oh and i run windows xp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:01 AM

Posted Image to BC

This is not necessary a malware issue. Try the following :

Un-install any mouse drivers you have. Do a hard reboot and while rebooting plug the mouse in again.

If that doesn't work please do this online scan to rule out any malware issues. IE required.

Please post back the results.

Edited by fozzie, 06 February 2007 - 05:02 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:12 AM

...yes i had lime wire and i didnt know it was that bad...

Using any P2P file-sharing program is a security risk. Even if you use a spyware-free P2P application, you still have to contend with the possibility of downloading malicious files from unknown sources and infecting your system. P2P networks have infected files on them and a number of them have malware that is included with their software. Using P2P software makes you susceptible to a smorgasbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information. See P2P Security Risks.

...i just want to monitor bank accounts and shop ebay...

Are you using a Firewall?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 theg1819

theg1819
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 04:47 AM

i downloaded windows one care and did a scan and nothing was found....i'm using a firewall now but wasn't before....i have a laptop so i'm not using a mouse

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:02 AM

Are you still having a problem or just want to check to make sure your system is clean?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users