Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amd Sockets Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ducky06

ducky06

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:56 AM

I have an eVGA socket 939 motherboard and want to upgrade to a dual processor. There were limited choices at newegg, so I searched Frys.com. They list some AM2 socket processors under the socket 939 section. Are these two sockets interchangeable?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Silivar

Silivar

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:38 AM

Socket 939 and AM2 aren't interchangable. It was probably just a mistake that one was listed with the other.

As far as getting one goes, it seems like 939 is being phased out. When I got my system a few months ago, there were as many 939 Athlon X2 processors as there were AM2. Now it's hard to find them. They're around, just in smaller quanities.

You'll need a socket 939 one, though. You can't use AM2. Make sure you can use an Athlon X2 at all. Your motherboard may not support it.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:22 AM

AM2 was launched last summer to replace 939. AMD hasn't been manufacturing 939 processor for quite a while.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users