Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Remove Ms Explorer & Ms Messenger

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sherrilw

sherrilw

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:40 AM

When I go to START>CONTROL PANEL>ADD or REMOVE>ADD/REMOVE Windows Components> I check the box in front of MS Explorer and click "next", I get this message:

The file 'auupdate.exe on (unknown) is needed. Type the path where the file is located and then click OK
Copy files from: in the pull down menu the C:/(backwards slash though) windows/(backward) Service pack files is highlighted and there is another option available that says: D:/ (backward slash)
I left the first one highlighted and clicked browse button. A box that says Locate file is at the top and it says look in :Service Pack files. There is a folder icon in the body of the box that says: i386. There is a pull down menu that says file name auupdate. I click on open and get a small box that has locate file and there is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle and it says auupdate.exe file not found. Please verify the correct file name was given. I just closed all the windows and came here to post. I don't want or need these two programs on my computer and they take up A LOT of room. Last time I tried to remove them by going through these same steps, I got an error saying that I couldn't remove them as other programs needed them and I couldn't remove them. Does anybody know how I can get rid of them an easier way than this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sherri

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:01 AM

auupdates is referring to automatic windows updates
------
Big question here: Did you type the right thing here? Were you trying to uninstall Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer? These are two different things. Regardless, you cannot uninstall either one and have a functioning computer unless you decide not to use a Windows operating system and install Linux instead. IE is necessary for Windows Updates at the very least, and without Windows Explorer you couldn't do much of anything on your computer.

Also, which specific messenger are you referring to?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 sherrilw

sherrilw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:40 AM

I went to>START>CONTROL PANEL>ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS and on the LEFT hand side there is "REMOVE WINDOWS COMPONENTS. I click on that and a box comes up that says"Windows Components Wizard and says: you can add or remove components of Windows XP. Int he listings of the programs that were installed prior to purchase, there are the ones that I want to remove as I never use them and they are taking up a lot of space. MSN EXPLORER (I'm NOT trying to remove my IE7.0 browser) and WINDOWS MESSENGER, with two little heads like the msn messenger icon. When I try to remove them this way, it tells me I can't remove them because other programs are using them and if I try anyway, I get errors. I asked Andrew about this and he said I had to be the admin to be able to remove them and he said he always removes them on computers. It is somewhere in the first post about the error I was getting after I uninstalled the MS multimedia keyboard.

The programs aren't hurting anything, I just want the space they are using.

Thanks,

Sherri

Edited by sherrilw, 07 February 2007 - 07:42 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:57 AM

Have you tried killing all open programs and unneeded processes (in the Process' tab of Task Manager) before doing this?

Have you tried this in Safe Mode?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:54 AM

outlook requires msn messenger. if you have outlook installed you will not be able to uninstall messenger.

if you have a fairly new machine, the hard drive space that these programs take up is negligible.

if you are trying to free up space, try reducing the maximum size of your system restore files. or running disk cleanup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users