Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Rebooting After Starting Half Life 2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Reboot when trying to play HL2 (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Has this happened to anyone you know?

1. YES (1 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. NO (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 bakana

bakana

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:39 AM

I have a pc that had onboard everything. Its a Compaq that I bought for my wife back in 2003. I wanted to play HL2 on it but it would take like 12 minutes to load then play just fine. so I bought a PNY Technologies Verto GeForce 6200 256MB AGP Graphics Card and an extra 512 mb stick of ddr 400 ram. I would then start up HL2 and it would start to load the game and reboot the system. I figured it has to be a power issue since the card required 300W of power and i only had a 250W power source. So I bought a Rosewill RD450-2-DB ATX V2.2 450W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, TUV, FCC - Retail, a 450 W power supply. However it still reboots once I start to play HL2. I can play most other games, I really don't have too many games that would push a computer hard, but half life 2 just wont work. I read somewhere that if you start in safe mode and the computer reboots itself it has to be hardware related. But when i go in safe mode i can't even try to play HL2. Can anyone help me with my situation. Please let me know what you need to know. I have an AMD 64 bit Sempron 3000+, 1 GB of DDR 400 ram, PNY Technologies Verto GeForce 6200 256MB AGP Graphics Card , and Rosewill RD450-2-DB ATX V2.2 450W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, TUV, FCC power supply. :thumbsup: i'm going nuts :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:12 AM

Take out that RAM you bought, and see if it does the same thing.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:10 PM

Ya it probably wasn't your power supply since I too have a 250 watt one and my graphics card requires 300 watts. It runs fine, but a new power supply never hurts! i would do as Walkman said as taking out the ram and seeing if it helps.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 bakana

bakana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:52 AM

I tried that. It still reboots. I tried just using my old ram and it reboots, i tried with both and it reboots, and I've tried just the new ram and it reboots.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

#5 bakana

bakana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:15 PM

ok so I thought the issue was because I forgot to disable the onboard video in both the bios and using a dip switch. When I went try to disable my motherboard ASUS a7vbx-la doesn't have either a dip switch or bios option. apparently from reading other websites, just putting in an AGP video card should disable it but my computer still restarts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users