Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

X1950xt Fan Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:23 AM

so i'm scared that i will need to RMA my videocard. i bought a sapphire ATI radeon x1950xt a few weeks ago and it's a wonderful card, but it does run hot. i've been using custom fan settings on ATI Tool to fix that and it usually hovers around 80C while running games, which i can live with.

the other day though, i noticed that the fan (which is usually audible when ramped up) was not noticeable. i ALT+Tabbed out of my game and saw that the temp was over 90C. i exited out and it didn't do it again for the rest of the day, but now while playing games i constantly minimize to check on the temps.

this morning i started a game, went to the bathroom, came back and out of curiosity minimized to check the temp. it was at 104C. i exited, checked the fan speed and while ATI Tool said 60%, a quick look in my case revealed that the fan was not spinning at all. i tried loading different settings, but it wouldn't budge. i rebooted and it spun up and appeared to be working fine but i'm scared to run any games now for fear that i'm going to melt my damn card.

basically, do you think this is a hardware or software problem? if it's hardware, i guess i'll just RMA it to newegg but damn. i've only had this thing for a few weeks.

so far i've booted into safe mode, uninstalled the ATI drivers and ATI Tool and then reinstalled them. it appears to be working alright now, but i haven't used ati tool yet nor have i played any games. i'm a little nervous to try anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:56 AM

If it works when that ATI tool isn't being used, then it sounds like a software problem. If it were a hardware problem, then the fan wouldn't work at all, or wouldn't reach a high RPM.

If it were me, I'd RMA it. Just my personal opionion. However, you can keep an eye on it, and not use that ATI tool to force a fan speed on the card. The card should keep cool enough by itself without a program to monitor/regulate the fan.

If you're worried about cooling, you could always get a third party cooler for your card, as they tend to keep cards cooler than the stock coolers do. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 dogslikeus

dogslikeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:44 AM

you're probably right. but it's weird because ATI tool hasn't interacted with it badly until now. it's just strange.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:52 PM

Could be other programs that are interfering with it now that are causing problems. You could go through msconfig and disable unnecessary programs and also do a good check for malware to see if that helps. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users