Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Recovery

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:54 PM

I just installed my copy of vista, I couldn't do an update, because when it restarted for the first time, it gave me an error, and shut down. So I did a clean install, running fine now, but I lost all of my files that I was intending on keeping with the update. I know, I know. I should've backed my data up, but I didnt anticipate a problem. Anyway, A while back there was a piece of software I saw on here that could recover some files from up to I believe it was 3 previous formattings. There are some pictures that I would like to recover, and if at all possible, some of my music. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:52 AM

A clean install essentially wipes a hard drive clean with a format. I don't know if it is possible to retrieve lost data like that. Once a drive is formatted and the previous data overwritten on the disk, the data is nearly unrecoverable. I know of some law enforcement departments that have drive recovery software that can find bits and pieces of data, I'm not sure if it is available for the consumer market.

3939.png

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:37 AM

The forensic tools to recover overwritten data are complex to use and expensive. Try http://www.pcinspector.de for a free tool that might help (as long as the files haven't been overwritten).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:20 PM

Thank you both. I understand that they may be unrecoverable, but forensics cant be that complicated. I used a program a while ago and found pictures from a few formats before. I was astounded. But maybe I got lucky and did not overwrite them. Im going to school for things like these, but I'm not in the classes yet, so I didnt know what I could use. Thanks again.

#5 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:40 PM

Well, I knpw I just responded, sorry for the double post. But after a long night, I've recovered my moms pictures from her trip. That was all I was worried about.. Whew.. Thank you both, and especially Usama for the software recommendation, but for that particular build, you need a specific .dll, and vista didn't have it registered. But again, thank you both.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:10 AM

What did you use to recover them? There's still a lot of incompatible software out there.

Did you try to run it as an Administrator and in XP SP2 compatibility mode?

FYI - there is a way around the .dll problem. It involves using a local copy of the .dll and renaming several files in the program's directory. I have no clue how to do this tho' :huh:

Edited by usasma, 07 February 2007 - 08:11 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:32 AM

Sorry for the delay in my reply. Busy day.

I used a program called "recover my files". After a night of searching with other off the wall software, I figured I might as well give this a shot. Found my files and replaced them.

And I did try to run as an Admin, but I did not know about the XP SP2 compatibility mode. Im still learning vista, it's a great time to be a tech!

P.S.

I figured I would include this new question in this particular topic, no need for a new one. Any word on a Sound blaster Audigy 24-bit driver for the x64 of vista? Every one I've found is a dud. And I miss my 5.1...

Edited by Uraiser, 08 February 2007 - 01:38 AM.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:30 AM

I found Creative's Vista driver release chart. I didn't know any of the Audigy series was Live!, I always thought the Live! brand was is own series of SoundBlaster. I'm not sure if yours is on here: http://ask.americas.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-....com,case=14186

3939.png

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:52 AM

Final Creative Vista drivers will be out in March at the earliest. Until then we have to make do with BETA's where surround doesn't work. :huh:
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:53 PM

I feel like a jackass. Mine is live, I dont know what I was thinking saying audigy. I bought this thing last year because it was cheap, offered 24-bit sound, and supported 5.1. I love it, and I can't even name it properly. Haha. But yes, creative should have been a little better with the drivers and vista, most other companies were. What was stopping them?

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:12 PM

Creative has very active user forums, several of Creative's employees have mentioned that they're generally starting with newer, more high-end cards and working down. For some reason, the drivers Creative was going to release didn't pass Microsoft's tests to work with Vista. This is needed mainly for the 64-bit drivers to be signed before installation. Now that I think about it, when Windows XP was released Creative and most sound card manufacturers didn't have any drivers, beta or full, for release until a couple months later.

3939.png

#12 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:05 PM

I see, thanks for the info. I can wait, I'm in no hurry to hear vista through surround sound.

#13 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:53 PM

UPDATE:

Hate to bump an old topic, But I've found a solution as to make surround sound work with SB Audigy on vista with MP3's, and movies. Haven't tried games.. Now I only have an SB Audigy 24-bit, thats what my drivers read it as, and my cd as well.

When you put the disc in, cancel out of the auto start, open up "computer", then with windows explorer on your disc, find the setup icon, right click, and go over to "compatibility". Run it under Windows XP service pack 2, you will lose aero settings will the setup is running, once completed you will get them back. ONce that is done, open up your EAX console, go to the CMSS 3D tab and enable it. voila.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users