Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Few Questions

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 his1wife

his1wife

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:59 PM

hey..ihave a few questions about things iwant to change on my computer

my standby button doesnt show up..when ipress start>turn off computer..iget:
standby
restart
turn off

but the standby button isn't lit up like the restart and turn off buttons..ican't click it..this is really frustrating because iuse it alot! ialso can't press shift to get my hibernate button..how can iget my standby and hibernate buttons back??

also..iwanna change my bootscreen back to normal..idownloaded a program to change it and now everytime iturn on my computer..it asks me which one iwant to use..iwanna get rid of the new one and keep the old one..thanks for anyones help! ireally appreciate it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

See if this helps with the Standby button:

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servic...toreStandby.htm
drymobius

#3 his1wife

his1wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:26 PM

thank you so much for your help..itried what usaid but it didn't work..this has been a problem for me for a few weeks now and idont kno what to do..isearched all over google to find something to do about it with no luck at all!

Edited by his1wife, 05 February 2007 - 10:40 PM.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:52 PM

You said that you downloaded a program, was that when you also had trouble with the standby button? If not when did the problem start?

Edited by Monty007, 05 February 2007 - 11:52 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:44 AM

Try updating your video drivers - this solves the vast majority of Standby and Hibernate issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 his1wife

his1wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:32 PM

to Monty::

yeah ithink the problem started around then..im not exacly sure of that tho..ihavent used either button since idownloaded that..im positive of that..thats another reason iwant to get rid of it

to Usasma::

iwill try that if nothing else works

thanks for the help =]

Edited by his1wife, 06 February 2007 - 03:51 PM.

#7 yaolei

yaolei

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:48 AM

Try updating your video drivers - this solves the vast majority of Standby and Hibernate issues.

No No No I consider that your computer's Power mangement appears problem.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:49 AM

Video drivers are, by far, the largest cause of problems with Standy/Hibernation (which are a sub-set of the System Power Settings).

The first thing that Microsoft Tech Support does with these problems is to have you install the latest, WHQL certified video drivers.

In my time on the forums, this has only failed once (it was a bad video card). I'd estimate that it has fixed approximately 50 instances that I've helped with. So I consider it as the first troubleshooting step when dealing with Standby/Hibernation problems.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 his1wife

his1wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:19 PM

ithink the BSOD problem is solved..ideleted zonealarm and since then..ihavent gotten one..but yaolei..what do usuggest ido about the power management..im not really good with hardware/software problems..i've never opened up a computer or anything..and iwill also see if ican get new video drivers soon too..iguess they may need updatin too..but can there be any possible thing idid to ruin the video drives so it causes this problem so ican avoid doin it again wen iget the new ones? and what about the memory?

by the way..ifound some files on my C drive that i've never seen before..im not sure if they may be anything but bad but iwanna see jus to stay on the safe side..can anyone tell me if urecognize any of them and if they're bad or not? heres a list of the files::

DBS.txt
debug.log
driver.txt
dvdlog.txtexport.txt
helixprodctrl.dll
media.log
palsound.txt
pncrt.dll
SmartInstaller.log
squmdata00.sqm
squmdata01.sqm
squmdata02.sqm
squmdata03.sqm
squmdata04.sqm
squmdata05.sqm
squmdata06.sqm
squmdata07.sqm
squmdata08.sqm
squmdata09.sqm
squmdata10.sqm
squmdata11.sqm
squmdata12.sqm
squmdata13.sqm
squmdata14.sqm
sqmnoopt00.sqm
sqmnoopt01.sqm
sqmnoopt02.sqm
sqmnoopt03.sqm
sqmnoopt04.sqm
sqmnoopt05.sqm
sqmnoopt06.sqm
sqmnoopt07.sqm
sqmnoopt08.sqm
sqmnoopt09.sqm
sqmnoopt10.sqm
sqmnoopt11.sqm
sqmnoopt12.sqm
sqmnoopt13.sqm
sqmnoopt14.sqm
sqmnoopt15.sqm
sqmnoopt16.sqm
sz.xml
test.xml
touchpad.log
unins000.dat
unins000.exe
YServer.txt

Edited by his1wife, 07 February 2007 - 06:30 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:02 AM

Some of the files are OK, but some give no results with a google search. Usually this means a virus or other malware.

I'd suggest running this free, online scan to see what's up: http://safety.live.com/

Let us know the results and we'll move on from there.

#11 his1wife

his1wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:31 PM

ok itried to do the scan but everytime itry it..iget to the part where its scanning and iget an error message for internet explorer and ihave to press end now and close it..what should ido??

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:50 PM

I think all the .sqm files probably are from MSN Messenger, and it can add maybe five of these per day. Has to do with what you allow when you sign up. As you're going through the sign-up process for Messenger, you have to opt out of sending information to Microsoft.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:56 PM

Just got infected at work with something that behaves similarly. I finally got a scan to run by using Safe Mode with Networking and the http://housecall.trendmicro.com online scan (amazingly, it let me use Firefox!)

#14 his1wife

his1wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:15 PM

ok i'll try that

#15 his1wife

his1wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:07 AM

hey well igot the BSOD once again..this time igot info on it tho..wen iopened the comp again..igot the error message for microsoft windows and ipressed more info on the bottom and it gave me this::

Error Signature
BCCode: 100000d1 BCP1: 80FDB856 BCP2: 00000002 BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 80FDB856 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 256_1

ihave NO CLUE what any of this means :| so ithought it might help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users