Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spam

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

I am getting a ton of spam lately. Some of this my fault since I posted my resume with internet address on many job boards. I was smart of enough to use a new email address for my job resume.

Many of the spam message are coming from the major phone companies and yahoo. When I report these spam emails to their abuse center, am I getting replies that the spam did not originate from their network and their network names have been pasted on my spam.

Does this make sense ?

How can I find out the real point of origin of this spam ? I view these eamils from my ISP website and not Outlook Express

Thanks

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:20 PM

1. Dump the email address you used in posting your resume'.
Spam bots crawl the www harvesting such. That is the source of most of the spam you are getting.

2. You'll never find the real source of such as they are from many sources.

3. Visit and read to start some of the topics in this section http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/antivirus-firewall-and-privacy-products-and-protection-methods/

4. Continue to read forums around/about the BC and ask any questions
you have.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for the input

I plan to keep the email address up while my job hunt continues.

Most of the spam email I am getting looks like it coming from netzero. Netzero says is not from them.

So are the spamers using netzero as some middleman to hide their identity ?

thanks

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:22 PM

If you are able to do so, I recommend you go back and modify your email addy to appear like this:

name "at" link, instead of using the "@" sign. Most legitmate responders will recognize the change.

While this will not prevent the individual from harvesting your addy, it does
preclude the bots from such.

Spammers use proxies, false addresses, and many other methods to preclude tracking them.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

The only way you'll ever stop the spam, AND know who is responsible for the spam you get is to use FREE email accounts, that you dedicate to certain things you do on the internet. For example:

I have an email account for all forums I register with
I have an email account that my personal friends have
I have multiple business email accounts that are used for businesses purposes only
I have an email account for all of my webmaster accounts
I have an email account I use to pay bills online
I have an email account I use when buying something online.
.... and many more email accounts... All FREE... and ALL Hotmail accounts.

Between all of those accounts put together, I don't get no more than 30+ spam emails per year.... Except one of my personal ones... (I had it about 13 years now)... but even with that one, I just delete them, and go on about my business.

The main thing is to know who you're giving your email address out to. And if they send you an initial email, welcoming you or something of that extent, you need to save those emails, that way you know all the sources that have your email account.... for that particular account.

NEVER use an email account your isp gives to you. It's junk, and you'll get spam... and it will most likely be from them.. (using other names, of course)...

FREE email accounts are so plentiful, I don't see how anyone can go wrong. You can eliminate spam instantly... just follow the advise above and you'll never get spam again, and if you do get it, at least you'll know who has to be responsible for it.

And last, but not least............. Don't go posting your email address everywhere, not unless you don't care about the spam. I have accounts like that too.. If I get spam,, I just delete it. Problem solved.

If you're ever in a situation where you need to unsubscribe from somewhere, your best bet is to copy the link, then open up another browser window, and go directly to their site to unsubscribe. NEVER unsubscribe from your email account. NEVER do it!!

[Added Info]
How can I forget this one... The ultimate!!!

Privacy Protection
Before registering for anything online, use a program like TOR/Privoxy. The reason for that is because when you sign up for FREE email accounts or register with web sites and such, your ip address is documented. Since they all do it, at least give them an ip address that doesn't link back to you.... this is for your own privacy protection.

Edited by Walkman, 06 February 2007 - 12:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users