Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Castor77

Castor77

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:11 PM

[size=7] :thumbsup:
I HAVE A FACTORY QUICK RESTORE DISK FROM COMPAQ, FOR WINDOWS 98. THE DISC RUNS SO FAR IN PROGRESS, AND THEN STALLS, BECAUSE OF A "DRIVE" N. WHAT IS DRIVE "N"? I WANT TO RESTORE THE 98 WINDOWS, BUT DO NOT KNOW HOW. ANY IDEAS TO OVERCOME THIS. THE COMPUTER WAS ONLY 3 YEARS OLD, AND I WANT TO USE IT AS A HARD DRIVE STORAGE FOR DOWNLOADING MOVIES. ALL OFFERED ADVICE APPRECIATED... I AM A NOVICE AND AT A LOSS,,,THANKS TO ALL,,,,,CASTOR77

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:51 PM

Please turn your CAPS LOCK off. It is considered to be shouting and makes the text hard to read.

Drive N is the letter that the restore cd assigns to your cdrom drive. It appears to be having a problem reading it for some reason.
The EXACT error message would be helpful

Is the Compaq Restore cd for the EXACT make and model of the system you are trying to run it on?
In other words, did it come with the computer? If not it wont work.

Assuming that it is, check the cd for scratches, fingerprints etc. If it is dirty or scratched badly it wont read correctly. You can use a little water and a soft cloth (tshirt type material) to clean it with.
If it is scratched a scratch repair kit may help

Edited by Eyesee, 05 February 2007 - 07:20 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Castor77

Castor77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:47 PM

Thank you Eyesee for your input. I am new to this type of Q and A, and did not realize the caplocks would cause the problem you mentioned. I apologize for my error on that. Truth is, I am an old man, and small type hurts my eyes, but I will persevere here. To follow up on your questions,

(Is the Compaq Restore cd for the EXACT make and model of the system you are trying to run it on?
In other words, did it come with the computer?) Yes it is, but did not come with computer

The QR is the exact CD for my make and model #5184 presario desk top. It was mailed to me when I first applied for an answer from the Compaq tech Rep.

(The EXACT error message would be helpful) Okay!
I will get that data and post it a.s.a.p..

(Assuming that it is, check the cd for scratches, fingerprints etc. If it is dirty or scratched badly it wont read correctly. You can use a little water and a soft cloth (tshirt type material) to clean it with.
If it is scratched a scratch repair kit may help)

Thanks for the cleaning tip, and all advice. I really appreciate it, and will re-post results within the week, as soon as I can.
Have a great week Eyesee :thumbsup:

#4 Castor77

Castor77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:18 PM

Are there a series of basic command prompts, that could or would restart the windows 98 program?? I find nothing wrong on the factory QR cd that I am using. I can do the defrag program with no problems resulting.
Everytime I go into safe mode I end up getting the dos screen, requiring command prompts, and I have tried various commands, but honestly do not know what "prompt" I should type in place. I meant to include this question along with my first question,,,but I must admit old age memory ain't what it used to be. Any suggestions for basic command prompts would be appreciated. Thank you, one and all,,,, :thumbsup: Castor77

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:28 PM

This may be some help: the compaq quick restore cd is used to access the recovery partition on the hard drive. if the recovery cd runs correctly you should see a menu with 5(five choices). The recovery partition was normally labelled restore, and was on the D drive. if the d drive is missing or corrupt, it will cause the drive N errors.

on the second question, if all you get is a command prompt try typing this:

(C:\)windows\win

the c in parenthesis should be there, if not: ( )CD\C:\windows

then type win after the c:\windows prompt.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 Castor77

Castor77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:09 PM

Back again with more data on the QR cd efforts
Inserting and starting the QR cd,,,it would runthrough the first 10 restore functions, and then hang-up, or stall with the error message.,,,,,
Read fault on drive "N", giving me a choice of options, as follows;
A)bort R)etry I)gnore. Being a hard headed old man, I selected I)gnore, and it went through the remaining functions, with the same results, Read Fault drive N,,,all the way through 21 functinons, with the last function being identified as 'PQI'. My original floppy homemade start-up disc would do nothing at all. So,,, I am at my wit's end as to the next procedure to chase after. Thanks again to all who may volunteer advice. :thumbsup:

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:20 PM

To me, it looks like the actual CD may have some errors on it. you also could have a CDROM that is starting to fail, or a dirty laser lens on the cdrom. If you have cleaned the restore cd, cleaned the laser lens, and replaced the cdrom drive and you still continue to get the errors, you probably have a failing hard drive.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users