Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivermin Manual Removal / Ad-aware Download Failed!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The TuneHead

The TuneHead

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:43 PM

Hey. My machine became the latest to succumb to attacks from AntiVermins today.

I checked out the instructions to manually remove AntiVermins from my machine, but the only file I could find in my \system32 folder was . . .
C:\Windows/System32/cwgppb.dll

The other 9 .dll files listed in those instructions were not found.

Also, I had tried to download Ad-Aware SE personal edition to my machine, but every time I click the download link on Lavasoft's website, the AntiVermin program on my system automatically redirects the page to an IE 404 error page that reads "This page cannot be displayed." I need help, because I really don't have the extra cash at the moment to purchase a licensing agreement from another company. I used Ad-Aware at my old place of business, and the sucker was as good as gold, but now I'm being blocked from downloading it.

Suggestions? Please help ASAP!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:04 PM

Suggest you follow the directions in the link below. Use the automated fix. It was updated 2 days ago.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/69886/how-to-remove-antivermins-antiverminser-or-antivermeans-removal-instructions/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 The TuneHead

The TuneHead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:54 AM

Yes, I've tried that. However, the license agreement is something I do not have the money for at this moment, so I cannot actually REMOVE the files from my computer.

I wanted to see if there was a way someone could get around the program if they haven't already installed Ad-Aware SE, or if there's another completely free program available online somewhere.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:12 PM

Are you saying that AdAware SE has quarantined some files? What license are you referring to? AdAware SE is available free.
I saw no mention in the automated or manual instructions of AdAware SE. Have you run the Smitfraud fix?
As the instructions state, if you are still infected or having problems you can post a Hijack This log in the appropriate forum by following the instructions in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 The TuneHead

The TuneHead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:32 PM

Okay, re-read this section from my first entry.

Also, I had tried to download Ad-Aware SE personal edition to my machine, but every time I click the download link on Lavasoft's website, the AntiVermin program on my system automatically redirects the page to an IE 404 error page that reads "This page cannot be displayed." I need help, because I really don't have the extra cash at the moment to purchase a licensing agreement from another company. I used Ad-Aware at my old place of business, and the sucker was as good as gold, but now I'm being blocked from downloading it.

There ARE no details in the manual or automatic removal regarding Ad-Aware. What I'm saying is that Ad-Aware is one of those completely free programs that does an excellent job of removing spyware, and right now, the AntiVermins programs are keeping me from being able to download it.

HOWEVER, the tech support guy at my church told me about a program called ZoneAlarm, which is available at www.zonelabs.com, that has a 15-day trial version that detects AND removes spyware, and also includes a firewall. So far, I've installed that and am about to run a scan on that to remove the AntiVermins data, if it will do so. I'll post an update when it's done.

Zach

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:04 PM

The smitfraudfix in the self-help guide was specifically created for dealing with smithfraud infections which include AntiVermins, AntiVerminser, or AntiVermeans while ZoneAlarm is not. I recommend you follow the automated removal instructions. All the files listed in the manual removal section may not be present on your system.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users