Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Average Age On Bleeping Computer

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:35 PM

It is a pleasure to spend time in Bleeping Computer. Most chat rooms are dominated by unpleasant, rude teenagers. I have noticed however the number of members here of more mature years. This is reflected in the standards of debate on the boards.

Congradulations Grinler and pals for providing an environment where this is possible.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:22 PM

1. BC is not a "chat room" per say.
It is a forum: "Bleeping Computer is a community devoted to providing free original content, consisting of computer help and tutorials, in such a way that the beginning computer user can understand."

2. There is a BC chat = http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/chat.php

3. All are welcome in both.

//Edit: Both are moderated according to BC rules and advisories.

Edited by KoanYorel, 05 February 2007 - 05:24 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:08 AM

You will be happy to know that the teenagers who frequent the BC forums are, for the most part bright, polite, and as well-mannered as the older denizens.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:26 AM

I agree with that assesment of young people on this forum. It was wrong of me to tar them all with the same brush. Many of the younger ones here are very bright and eloquent.

However, on some unmediated forums this is not the case. I have been horrified by the vicious language and threats that they come out with, simply because they feel safe to do so.

I tip my hat to the charming young people here on Bleeping computer.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:29 PM

You better talk nice about us :thumbsup:

I've been to many other forums, or I take for example the comments thread on break.com that often turns into a gang of people screaming fake... Get's annoying... Love coming here

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:49 PM

I must agree, I do not know the age of many who I debate with in the SpeakEasy, however for anyone who is around my age (17), I must say have good manners, well respectable, and polite.

Edited by yano, 13 February 2007 - 06:50 PM.

#7 Aussie Ness

Aussie Ness

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:19 AM

May I also add that most of the members here tend to type the whole word and not abbreviations of the word which makes for much easier reading! Takes me forever to work out all the abbreviations on some sites! It's not hard to learn to type correctly. I have two left hands and if I can do it ...anyone can. And don't get me started on correct spelling!
Dus any1 thk tht mayb a few gener8ions frm now, abb. words will b tha norm?:thumbsup:
Ness

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:58 AM

Dus any1 thk tht mayb a few gener8ions frm now, abb. words will b tha norm?

I hope, not.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:20 AM

I am now of "mature " years, and still can only type with one finger of each hand. The only thing that has improved is the speed. I am happy to read that you youngsters also feel a little put out by the strange language used by the (minority) of very young people when using the internet. Maybe, however, it will cause an involuntary evolvement of the language into everyday speech. I must confess I have found a small use for it when conversing with non-english speaking people. (LOL definitely lightens the atmosphere) But for heaven's sake M$, what is the point of that!

It is only on certain sites that I have found abuse to a marked degree. Those particular sites are, in any case, over the border in other respects, so one either chooses to visit and put up with it, or stay away.

The so-called "freedom of the Internet" is something to be examined also. When I read, currently, on another site, that the members (sorry - but all obviously either very young, or very immature) are secretly photographing Vista packaging in retail shops, in order to use the CD keys, it certainly makes me feel that there should be some kind of international body curtailing such "free" conversation. In that example, for instance, customers are paying good money for their 10 reinstalls, only to find they have already been used.

#10 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:07 AM

When I'm in a forum or e-mails I try to type full sentences and stuff but if I am talking on msn messenger it is sometimes easier with my friends just to abbreviate everything just for speed sakes... we can almost get the same speed then when you talk to someone which is pretty good. Also when multi player games, sometimes I use the abbreviated stuff just because I have to yell to the other guy there is an enemy army approaching his base and I don't have the time really to type in a nice clean sentence and look up a couple words in the dictionary... but even now most people use a program called TeamSpeak or Ventrilo, especially for first-person shooters for the speed since you can just talk to your team mates.

But I agree with most of you, I think it has gotten a little out of hand. When I moved here to Quebec I found it really weird when people would find a joke funny or something and would say LOL (not say each letter but pronounce it) and when asked what the letters mean they didn't even know :thumbsup:

#11 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:14 PM

But I agree with most of you, I think it has gotten a little out of hand. When I moved here to Quebec I found it really weird when people would find a joke funny or something and would say LOL (not say each letter but pronounce it) and when asked what the letters mean they didn't even know :thumbsup:

I've noticed something happening to me. I got up to go to the bathroom while eating out with some friends and I said "BRB" (I said each letter) and then proceeded to the bathroom. I come back and all my friends bust out laughing.

#12 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:44 AM

I've noticed something happening to me. I got up to go to the bathroom while eating out with some friends and I said "BRB" (I said each letter) and then proceeded to the bathroom. I come back and all my friends bust out laughing.

LOL

#13 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:54 AM

I still speak "Navy", here, there and about.
Some ignore me, some understand, and some just say... get a real job!

Whoosh, I BRB in a Tic....
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#14 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:15 AM

Never realised I had a navy buddy here :thumbsup: But your american aren't you? I'm Naval Reserve in Canada :flowers:

#15 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:41 PM

But for heaven's sake M$, what is the point of that!

M$: An abbreviation for MicroSoft that (at least in my use of the abbreviation) defines the company's ideal (or the appearance of) that profits are more important then quality programs or customer satisfaction / safety.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users