Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maybe "w32.blackmal.e@mm!enc" Or Not?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mistaken

mistaken

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

Hello, I am new here. (I hav Win Xp) (XP Firewall turn on button is grayed out)
1st day (home)
My problem is: When I dialup adsl and then go to my browser, I get internet for only a short amount of time. Then the browser stops to search through internet. If I disconnect and connect again, same thing - (I get internet connection for a short time only in my browser).
So, I made some scan for virus and spyware but everything was clean.
Next day (parent work)
The antivirus was updated at work by server. Uses proxy (things like that), but internet connection was back there I think. Then "W32.Blackmal.E@mm!enc" was detected and removed.

But I don't know if "W32.Blackmal.E@mm!enc" was the virus that is the cause of my problem. Maybe it is at the work place that the pc got the virus and removed it automatically.

Anyway at home the connection problem is still here and "XP Firewall turn on button" is still grayed out

Can someone please help me. Should I post a hijack log please? :thumbsup:

Edited by mistaken, 05 February 2007 - 03:00 PM.

Seems that this forum is interesting

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

Follow the instructions in the link below to post a Hijack This log in the appropriate forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Welcome to Bleeping Computer!!

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 mistaken

mistaken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:39 PM

I hav been doing everything like in the link.
Spybot and McAfee AVERT Stinger found some problems.

McAfee AVERT Stinger log:
Scan initiated on Tue Feb 06 22:32:07 2007
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\i
Found the W32/Sdbot.worm!ftp virus !!!
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\i has been deleted.
Number of clean files: 133707
Number of infected files: 1
Number of files deleted: 1

Before that I got certain virus problem during the day: W32.Spybt.worm and w32.black.e@mm!enc.
Is it possible that the "Sdbot.worm" (detected by McAfee Avert Stinger) was the one responsible for attracting these virus?

Anyway after the "Sdbot.worm" was removed, my connection got back full.
My XP Firewall is now turned on but the button is grayed out (Before it was the turn off button which was grayed out).
I think it is Spybot who fixed that but:
1. Is it a problem that the "turn on" button is grayed out?
2. Can this "turn on" grayed button be resolved?
3. Do I still need to post a hijack this log for this problem?
Seems that this forum is interesting

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:31 PM

Yes, continue and post a log in the appropriate forum. Another thing you can do is go to Windows updates and allow it to scan your computer for any missing security updates. Most consider Windows firewall inadequate as it doesn't prevent malware, or programs that you don't want to, to access the internet. After the Hijack This team has cleared you I would recommend installing one of the free firewalls available such as Zone Alarm.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:44 PM

See if this article helps:
Windows Firewall options are grayed out
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users