Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should The Same Avatar Be Used By 2+ Members

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Select One (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Should The Same Exact Avatar Be Used By More Than One User On This Forum?

1. Yes (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. No (9 votes [32.14%])

Percentage of vote: 32.14%

3. It shouldn't matter (17 votes [60.71%])

Percentage of vote: 60.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:44 PM

I'm doing a poll on opinions on what you think about having 2 or more of the same exact avatars on the same forum board.

The reason I'm doing this poll is because I just saw a member here that is using the one that I'm using, and I just think that no person should use the same one as another, on the same forum.

The avatar is sorta like your signature while you're here. If your avatar is used elsewhere, then... Oh Well, that means you shouldn't use it where ever you see it. But the avatar should be respected as a personal trait for that person.

I believe that that avatars help people in identifying people, much easier.. in a way. But the avatar is our unique way of identifying, and expressing ourselves. If we were to all use any avatar we see on the same forums, then we would create a dis-need in having avatars in the 1st place.

No matter who has what avatar, unless it's yours, or copyrighted with your rights to it, then any avatar is fair game. I can live with that, and that's not my issue,... my issue is with having more than 1 person using the same exact avatar on the same forum.

I guess I should compile all the avatars here, and just let them rotate, that way I'll have them all. And I know many of you think that wouldn't be fair at all... and trust me... I wouldn't stoop to that level.... but that is exactly my point.

What do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:07 PM

Unless copyrighted.. fair game.
And how would we know that?
My Avatar is from the USN.
Many have earned such.
I have a copyrighted Avatar I no longer choose to use, as another here
provided me with other.

//Edit: You should vote in your own poll.

Edited by KoanYorel, 05 February 2007 - 03:10 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:21 PM

//Edit: You should vote in your own poll.

You're absolutely right. Of all things, I never thought to do that much.

Done deal.

I'm laughing at your edit, because it just didn't hit me for at least a minute, then it clicked in.

Thanks.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:22 PM

imitation is the highest form of flattery
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:17 PM

So what do you think when you see mine? ha ha

I dont own beef cattle well just 1 the rest are black and white.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 05 February 2007 - 11:18 PM.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:44 PM

I created mine using Gimp for windows so if any1 rips it off its got my name stamped on it. lol

Posted Image

#7 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:05 AM

Doesn't bother me.
MCP
MSDST

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:19 AM

Really Walkman,What's the big deal?Any Avatar you shoose from the library are not yours,only yours to use.We have 100,000+ members and a pathetic lot of Avatars to choose from,so more than 1 member is going to use the same Avatar,if they like one.The post is more important than an Avatar IMO.
The Avatar like the Sig is only icing on the cake,as they say.A lot of members cannot design there own Avatar.Often I have seen the same one used by a number of our members,so what.Click onto birthdays daily and you often see the same Avatars which members have ,but no longer post.
Personally designed Avatars and your Sig are Private and there is no excuse to even contemplate useing someone elses.Library Avatars are fair game. :thumbsup:

#9 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:44 AM

I don't think there should be a rule against it, but if someone is just going right-click, save-as, and pasting your avatar as theirs, it's kind of a dickish and/or creepy thing to do.

Unless it's done like a bandwagon kind of thing, then it can get interesting. On the off-topic discussion board I frequent there have been a few different avatar bandwagons. On the day they switched to a new domain name they had to change over the database, during the changeover various members got "taken over by the Matrix" and had their avatars changed into Agents. For the Matrix Revolutions movie a bunch of us turned into various Agent Smiths. There were other themes like classic gaming, and a big one right now is on the Marvel Civil War comic.
Posted Image

#10 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:08 AM

If I found out that I was using the same Avatar as a fellow poster,I would remove mine, and look for another one.Or PM the member and ask if they had any objections,to me useing the same one.I would think that they would be flattered to think someone else liked their choice.

#11 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:38 AM

Doesn't really bother me. I think Koan said it best:

Unless copyrighted.. fair game.

If it was something I personally designed, I would make a big stink about it. :thumbsup:
But I've got tons of pics to choose from, so, for me, it isn't a big deal. :flowers:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#12 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:46 AM

The internet is one big large photo album, based on the concept of misappropiated content. I am with Koan Yorel in this case.

#13 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:29 PM

I agree with DSTM and buddy215 that "imitation is the highest form of flattery".

Hey,did you notice that there is another member here in BC with the same name as mine??
Different capitalizations,but I certainly don't think that should be allowed!

If it really bothers you Walkman, why don't you change your Avatar to something really cool!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:13 PM

It doesn't bother me. I change mine. I've seen mine used by others... no difference to me. If it makes you feel good today use it.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:36 PM

I agree, if it's an 'open to public to use' one, it shouldn't really matter if more than one member here has chosen to use it. I love graphics but it's not the first thing I look for in a post by any means.

It must be fun to create a very unique one, though - in which case, it would be tacky indeed to someone to 'borrow' it.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users