Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Found A0031596.dll Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pookiewku

pookiewku

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:02 PM

My AOL virus scan found a virus on my computer, it states it cannot block or delete the file that is infected. Can you please help me to get this off my computer, or advise me as to what I need to do? I'm not very computer literate, but I do follow directions well! This is what the AOL thing said:

SC0022

We were unable to delete the infected file (C:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-
7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\Fifoed\A0031596.dll) from your PC.

Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:38 PM

Try booting into Safe mode then deleting the file. Then run a full scan again while in Safe.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Did your first scan mention a virus by name, perhaps Surfsidekick?

Please post back with results or any further questions.

Edited by boopme, 05 February 2007 - 02:38 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:37 AM

Download and install AVG Anti-Spyware v7.5
(This is Ewido 4.0 renamed. If you already have Ewido installed, please update to AVG Anti-Spyware which has a special "clean driver" for removing persistent malware.)
  • After download, double click on the file to launch the install process.
  • Choose a language, click "OK" and then click "Next".
  • Read the "License Agreement" and click "I Agree".
  • Accept default installation path: C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5, click "Next", then click "Install".
  • After setup completes, click "Finish" to start the program automatically or launch AVG Anti-Spyware by double-clicking its icon on your desktop or in the system tray.
  • Connect to the Internet, go back to AVG Anti-Spyware, select the "Update" button and click "Start update". Wait until you see the "Update successful" message. If you are having problems with the updater, manually update with the AVG Anti-Spyware Full database installer from here.
  • Exit AVG Anti-Spyware when done - DO NOT perform a scan yet.
Reboot your computer in "SAFE MODE" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode". (Note: When run in safe mode, sometimes the GUI is larger than the screen and the buttons at the bottom are partly or completely hidden, making them unaccessible for doing a scan. If this is the case, then you may have to run your scan in normal mode and advise your helper afterwards.)

Scan with AVG Anti-Spyware as follows:
  • Click on the "Scanner" button and choose the "Settings" tab.
  • Under "How to act?", click on "Recommended actions" and choose "Quarantine" to set default action for detected malware.
  • Under "How to Scan?", "Possibly unwanted software", and What to Scan?" leave all the default settings.
  • Under "Reports" select "Automatically generate report after every scan" and UNcheck "Only if threats were found".
  • Click the "Scan" tab to return to scanning options.
  • Click "Complete System Scan" to start.
  • When the scan has finished, it should automatically be set to Quarantine--if not click on Recommended Action and set it there.
  • You will also be presented with a list of infected objects found. Click "Apply all actions" to place the files in Quarantine.
IMPORTANT! Do not save the report before you have clicked the Apply all actions button. If you do, the log that is created will indicate "No action taken", making it more difficult to interpret the report. So be sure you save it only AFTER clicking the "Apply all actions" button.
  • Click on "Save Report" to view all completed scans. Click on the most recent scan you just performed and select "Save report as" - the default file name will be in date/time format as follows: Report-Scan-20060620-142816.txt. Save to your desktop. A copy of each report will also be saved in C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\Reports\
  • Exit AVG Anti-Spyware when done, reboot normally and post the log report in your next response.
Note: Close all open windows, programs, and DO NOT USE the computer while AVG Anti-Spyware is scanning. Doing so can hamper AVG Anti-Spyware's ability to clean properly and may result in reinfection.

AVG Anti-Spyware is free for 30 days and all the extensions of the full version will be activated. After the 30 day trial, active protection extensions will be deactivated and the program will turn into a feature-limited freeware version that you can continue to use as an on-demand scanner or you may purchase a license to use the full version.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users