Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Music Library And Mp3 Player

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 atila

atila

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:09 AM

Music library and mp3 player

Hi!
I know that If you rip an original CD track to MP3 @ 192 kbps, and then for whatever reason, decide to compress that MP3 even further - say to 128, that would result in some loss of quality.

But Building a music library, I am ripping everything on 192, and downloading on 192 too. But then with my future mp3 player, having music on 192 format, that doesn’t allow to store a lot in the player!!!
So thought I could compress a bit more, and the quality – yes the quality will be lower but then, you want good quality, you don’t use a mp3 player but a normal stereo!!! Am I right or wrong…

But then, the days of cd are counted, so we still need to put music on digital format for the future, so what quality audio to use?
Stay with mp3?
Or go with some other format like apple or wma from window media player
Or some new recent one, but may be not compatible with my new mp3 player… and meaning I have to re-rip all my audio again!!!

Then, technology will be there and there will be no need of compression!!!
And then the web will be access from everywhere, and we wont have our own computer but subscribing monthly to some web site to use and listen the music and for every thing else….

So, I am getting so confused and lost… my question is what you do today and what do you recommend!!!

And about the future how are you going to keep up?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

Here are my thoughts about this:

No#1. Let today be today. If your music is .mp3, then keep it that way. Don't get tricked into the hype of what tomorrow may be like. You may not see tomorrow. Just keep doing as you're doing, and forget about the Jones'

No#2. No one knows what tomorrow may bring, and since music isn't important as to being prepared for tomorrow, I wouldn't even think about it. If you need more room to store your files, then invest into another hard drive, and dedicate it to just your music.

Your bitrate quality will really get disturbed if you went to a very low bitate, compared to it's original format/bitrate. And again, if your music sounds good to you, and you like it, leave it be. Don't go making projects out of things you really don't want to be wasting your time on. And yes, I know, the higher the bitrate, the larger the file size. It's your move now... so what are you going to do? I say just get more hard drive/storage space, and you'll nip it in the bud.

.wma formats, I always convert them to .mp3.
Windows Media Player? If you're gonna use it (I see no reason why you would), just be aware that by default it is set to protect your music you rip using it. What that means is that your music is protected and it's virtually held hostage on your computer. Burning it from there won't work either. So, if you're going to use WMP, make sure you uncheck the Protect My Files checkbox. Even still, I'll never trust WMP with my music.

Also, there is no reason to try to keep up with the ever growing of music softwares, just to listen to your music. If you use a program that plays your music, and it plays very well, then leave well enough alone. Alot of programs are designed to trick you, (like Windows Media Player), and they will DRM protect your music, and block you from transferring your music from your computer to disc, or where ever else you may want to put your music. Soon, you'll be posting here stating, your music all of a sudden doesn't play, you can't burn anything, your burner doesn't work, the programs you've used before all of a sudden don't work, you can play one file type, and not the other..... and the list goes on and on.

Take this advice from someone that knows these computers and will inform you of what you should know about them. Trying to keep up with the Jones' and using the wrong softwares at the same time will get your computer slammed with problems.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:35 PM

Ive been using 128kbps compression since about 1998 (when I got my diamond Rio PNP) 128 is about CD quality and Ive used it back to back with the original cds on 2 surround sound systems

Posted Image

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:35 PM

I suggest archiving your music at the highest bitrate you can.
This will give you the best sound on quality home equipment.
For use on an MP3 player, make a copy of the original, and reduce the bitrate to no lower than 128.
This will give you the best compromise between size, and sound quality, of the file.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users