Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice On Anti-virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bill L

Bill L

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:12 AM

After having numerous problems with my old computer I went out and got a new computer. I have a Dell Dimension DM061 Pentium with 1.99 GB of RAM. Running Widnows XP. My question is this. Im now running Trend Micro PC-Cillin Security 14 which came with the computer. It was pre-installed and I have about 1 month free trial. After the evaluation period I wanted to know if I should purchase this program or remove it and install something else. If something else what does everyone recommed I get? What are the best Anti-virus programs out there now?

Thanks
Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:16 AM

I think you should remove it and get some good freeware software - which won't cost you a thing. I have used the following and think they are good:

AVG Anti-virus
Spybot
AdAware
SuperAntiSpyware
Spyware Blaster
Comodo Firewall
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:50 AM

Links to the programs Budapest recommended can be found in our Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps list, along with other programs you might want to try.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:56 AM

There is little reason for paying for an AV application when very good ones are available free for the downloading, because these have all the major functionality needed to keep your computer secure:frequent updates, real-time protection, and localised scanning.
I have used the free version of AVG for several years with great success.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 IHateAbnormalities

IHateAbnormalities

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

I use the free version of Avira Antivir. It has excellent detection rates and is light on resources.

#6 pipester

pipester

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

I am currently using Trend Micro Antivirus plus antispyware 2007 with the Windows XP Firewall. I have used Trend Micro for many years, it's my preference for an antivirus solution.

Marc
A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users