Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Install Ms Office Updates!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lauren-x

lauren-x

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:07 AM

For the past few months I haven't really paid attention to the updates I've been installing. I've never had to search for them myself because I have Automatic Updates enabled. So anyway, after a while noticed that each time I was prompted to install these new updates, there were always 12. The next time I installed them I paid proper attention and realized that my computer wasn't allowing them to install. So I searched around the Microsoft website and found some help topics. so that I could download these updates.

I decided to start on the Microsoft Word Security update. The help topic told me that I probably had Office Source Engine disabled, and told me how to find it and enable it. So I opened Run and typed in 'services.msc', and then looked for the Office Source Engine file thingy on the side bar, but I couldn't find it.

So I left that and tried to download the updates directly from MS Word, so I went to Help and selected 'Detect and Repair'. It started working, so I assumed my problem was solved and minimized the screen, but a few minutes later I received an error that told me I should go to the following file and open 'SETUP.CHM' :

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033

So I did that, and I find some more instructions. They tell me to go to Re-install/ Repair MS Word. So I went over to Control Panel and used the 'Change' option to do that.. and then got another error message that told me to refer back to the Setup file and find info on Office Source Engine... which is what I had done previously.

How do I get over this problem? I know I should have noticed it sooner, and I can live without fixing it, I guess.. but it's kind of irritating! Also, I was asked to install security updates for programs other than MS Word. All 12 of the updates failed, so are these related to the Office Source Engine File?

Sorry this thread got so long, I tend to do that. Help with be muchly appreciated!!

Edited by lauren-x, 05 February 2007 - 09:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:10 PM

Sounds like the Office Source Engine (ose.exe) didn't get properly installed when you installed Office, as it should be in listed in the Services Management Console. This page may help:
http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/...p;ErrorID=21815

Or this:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/08/26/w...d-update-error/

#3 lauren-x

lauren-x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:01 PM

I don't have the CD because MS Word was already on the laptop when I got it. I got it from my dad, and he got it from a friend, so I don't think I'll be able to fix that.

Is there anywhere I can install the Ose.exe file? If theres nothing else I can do then I'll give up. =\

Edited by lauren-x, 05 February 2007 - 03:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users