Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Owner Name/starting From Scratch

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 j joy j

j joy j

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:02 AM

Hi All,

A couple questions...

1--I bought my laptop under my maiden name. I know that changing that name now would mean a registry change, which is difficult for the beginner that I can be at times, but is it possible to change to my married name?

2--I am going to be starting a job at home and will be downloading several files onto my system, reworking and sending them back, and retaining a backup copy for myself. I have had my Dell Inspiron 6000 for 2 years. I have a 60 hard drive which is about half full, and 1.5 GB RAM. Over the last couple years there have been so many things pass through my system - programs from my old work, my husbands, kids stuff that I have helped with, playing with different programs. I have removed some, but I know there is additional things that still linger. Plus, Dell did a good job of putting some many things on that I don't know. Is it crazy for me to think that I just want to dump everything and start from scratch??? I have about 50 - 60 processes running all the time, so many things that are in the add/remove program that I am not sure of.

Just looking for some guidance...
Thanks in advance...

Joy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:38 AM

1--I bought my laptop under my maiden name. I know that changing that name now would mean a registry change, which is difficult for the beginner that I can be at times, but is it possible to change to my married name?

What do you mean exactly with this. How do you login? Do you have to fill in a password ?
Are there more accounts on that laptop?

Let's see how far we can come on a distance :thumbsup:

Step 1 - Make an inventory of all programs which are on the computer ( start control panel software) and let us see what you need and don't need. After removing all unnecessary programs we will do a clean up on the laptop

Step 2 Please let us know which security software you have . Whilst in the process of cleaning up we may as well set you up as far as safety is concerned

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:23 AM

If you want to change the name of your computer, follow the directions in the link below.
http://www.leeindy.com/compnamechange.shtml
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Rename the Administrator Account in Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

http://www.leeindy.com/renadmin.shtml
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever purchased a new PC and found a ton of software preinstalled that you did not request or even want? These pieces of software are called Craplets.

The problem is that PC manufacturers won't remove them because they make money for every machine sold that has these types of software installed. Due to this, one enterprising programmer has decided to take it into his own hands to create a tool called the Decrapifier.

The Decrapifier, when run on a computer, will search for known craplets and when found add them to a list. You can then peruse this list and remove those programs that you wish. The Decrapifier is aimed at programs that are typically installed on a new Dell machine, but the program can be used on any computer regardless of age or manufacturer.

http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/

Programs such as Windows Media player, Real, Office programs, Adode Reader, etc. can be blocked from automatically running at startup. Not necessary. The programs you want to load at startup are firewall, antivirus and one or two antispyware. It is best to control the startup options in each program or you can use a program such as WinPatrol to identify and block the programs from startup.

Edited by buddy215, 05 February 2007 - 10:06 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 j joy j

j joy j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:24 AM

I don't loging with a password. I used to have it set up that way but not now. All my documents are linked to my maiden name, most of the software that was installed when I got it from Dell--xp, word, excel--things like that all say my maiden name, such as in the directory when you save things???

I do have microsoft works suite coming, I needed to purchase that for some things that I will be doing.

I have a list of all my software, do you want me to go ahead and uninstall all that I do not need?

#5 j joy j

j joy j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:32 AM

Another thing...I am not sure on some of these programs I have in my list? I suppose if I am not sure what it really easy, or it doesn't look familiar, then I don't use it or need it? I am pretty familiar with what I DO need/want.

For security - AVG anti-spyware 7.5, Ad-Aware SE Personal. I just took my laptop into a "professional" b/c it has been running harder than usual--making a constant noise, not loud and not the fan--just a humming, just sounds like there is something running, and he removed my norton and said that my laptop is fine. It still makes the noise.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:33 AM

If you feel safe to do so please go ahead. If you have any doubts please post the name of that particular program and we will research and see whether it is necessary. After that we will start cleaning up your computer.

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:38 AM

For security and privacy reasons alone, I wouldn't dare have my real name on my computer at all. That's one way to get your information blurted out there.

No matter what you install or use on your computer, never make your real information available. And that includes your OS.

#8 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:39 AM

Another thing...I am not sure on some of these programs I have in my list? I suppose if I am not sure what it really easy, or it doesn't look familiar, then I don't use it or need it? I am pretty familiar with what I DO need/want.

For security - AVG anti-spyware 7.5, Ad-Aware SE Personal. I just took my laptop into a "professional" b/c it has been running harder than usual--making a constant noise, not loud and not the fan--just a humming, just sounds like there is something running, and he removed my norton and said that my laptop is fine. It still makes the noise.

Post back what ever you are not sure, and we will help you. As far as removing Norton please tell us which Norton, since you need an additional step to entirely remove that program. I assume you don't have any antivirus now? if so download AVG Antivirus from the link in my sig which is free. If you don't have a firewall installed please download Zone Alarm also from my sig. Again do not install untill we have entirely cleaned your computer.

#9 j joy j

j joy j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:57 AM

I use Windows Media Player - does that mean that I will not need
-Dell Jukebox driver
-Interactual Player
-Macromedia Flash Player
-Macromedia Shockwave Player
-Musicmatch for Windows Media Player
-Power DVD 5.3
-Real Player
-Sonic DLA
-Sonic Recorder
-Quick Time
Do I need
-Dell Support (which I don't use their support)
-Dell Home Systems Service Agreements
-Dell Driver reset tool
-MSXML 4.0 SP2
-Advanced WMA workshop version 2.1
-Chabner
-Math Player
-Microsoft test-to-speech engine

I have about 3 -J2SE Runtime 10, 2,6 and Java 2 Runtime

Sorry about not being more or a computer guru, I have came a long way and am trying...
Those are the ones that I am questioning, I am pretty sure about the others that I have.

#10 j joy j

j joy j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:08 AM

I am not sure what norton it was, the guy just told me he uninstalled it.

#11 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:07 AM

[quote]Macromedia Flash Player
-Macromedia Shockwave Player,Real Player,Quick Time,MSXML 4.0 SP2[/quote] These you need

[quote]Interactual Player,-Sonic DLA
-Sonic Recorder[/quote] All belong to the Sonic Program Here If this is a registered i.e. fully paid version leave it. If not remove it.

[quote]Advanced WMA workshop version 2.1[/quote] If this is a registered i.e. fully paid version leave it. If not remove it.

[quote]Math Player[/quote] Do you need this?

[quote]Chabner[/quote] Ca really find any reference on that.

[quote]I have about 3 -J2SE Runtime 10, 2,6 and Java 2 Runtime[/quote] remove these. Your version of Java is outdated and needs to be updated to take advantage of fixes that have eliminated security vulnerabilities.
Updating Java:

* Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.0
* Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6
* Click the "Download" button to the right.
* Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
* The page will refresh.
* Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language and save to your desktop.
* Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
* Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
* Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
- Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
o Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
* Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
* Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
* Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
* Then from your desktop double-click on jre-1_6_0_10-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

[/quote]Microsoft test-to-speech engine[quote] Is it this?

Take things step by step. If you're not sure post back.

Edited by fozzie, 05 February 2007 - 11:10 AM.

#12 j joy j

j joy j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

Ok, I removed everything I needed to and downloaded the correct java...

#13 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:27 PM

OK Great stuff. No do the following :

Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:

* Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
* Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
* Under Browsing History, click "Delete".
* Click "Delete Files", "Delete cookies" and "Delete history"
* Click Close below.

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have Firefox installed):

* Go to Tools > Options.
* Click Privacy in the menu..
* Click the Clear now button below.. A new window will popup what to clear.
* Select all and click the Clear button again.
* Click OK to close the Options window

* Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin

* Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
* Let it scan your system for files to remove.
* Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
* Press OK to remove them.

Download install and update Ccleaner
After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

After this has been done we will sart installing safety programs.

#14 j joy j

j joy j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

Ok, I downloaded and ran the cleaner in safe mode. I am now back in regular mode. My fan is kicked in and is running really hard. I looked for the backup in 'My Documents' but couldn't see one, I am not sure if it's suppose to be in a folder?

#15 j joy j

j joy j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:58 PM

Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

After this has been done we will sart installing safety programs.

After the 1) when I clicked analyse it had a big list of things. Did you want me to remove those items? I didn't, I just went onto 2)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users