Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Uninstall Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sherrilw

sherrilw

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:04 AM

Hi,

I have been trying to uninstall Spybot S & D 1.3 for quite a while. When I go to the uninstall from Start>ALL Programs>Uninstall, I get this message:

File "C:(Backward slash, I don't have that on my keyboard) Program Files (Backward slash) Spybot-Search & Destroy (Backward slash) unins000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall. Then I go to Add/Remove> from the control panel and click on Spybot S & D then remove and get the same message as above.

I contacted Spybot S&D and they just keep saying to remove it and come to their site and install the newer version. I have emailed them the message that I get when trying to remove it and they just keep saying, "just remove it".

I have looked up uninstalling it and all I can find is the new version and nothing about 1.3 version.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Sherri

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:26 AM

The best way around that is to:

1. Go to your Programs Files, then delete the folder Spybot - Search & Destroy
2. Use a registry cleaner to clean out any references of it. You'll ant to search for:

spybot
spybot - search & destroy
Safer Networking Limited
Patrick M. Kolla

Those are all the names associated with that program.

Below are 2 registry cleaners I use. The second one I've used for about 4 years or so. The 1st one, almost a year. But I've never had any problems with either one. Your are advised to back up your registry before making any changes to it... but in my 18+ years with computers now, I've never in my life had a problem with my computer using any registry cleaner. Not once. People will also tell you that they can delete something that you don't want it to delete. Again, I've never had this problem, and I believe that the number of complaints from using registry cleaners are quite small, compared to those that use them. And those that have problems with them, probably have other issues on their computer, and the registry program is just exposing more of the problems that they already have, since it's cleaning up the registry.

Eusing Registry Cleaner
http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleane...try_cleaner.htm
Eusing registry cleaner is a fast and FREE, and most importantly, very good at cleaning out bad registry entries. Even if you use other registry cleaners, you should definitely add this one to your list.

Replendent Registrar Advanved Registry Manager
http://www.resplendence.com/registrar
Replendent Registrar is yet, another very good registry cleaner and manager. The latest version checks for hidden registry entries and can be used as a CLSID lookup utility. This has many advanced features, which makes it needed even more. Although this is not actually a FULL FREE product, I'm listing it because the lite version is FREE, but some features are disabled. But for the average joe, this will be a very useful tool.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:33 AM

Did you try to uninstall it in safe mode?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:32 AM

Locate a copy of Spybot v1.3 on the web. Install it on your system (over the current one). Then use it's uninstall routine to get rid of it.

Alternatively, use the last freeware version of Total Uninstall to monitor the installation and then remove it manually using the log file that's generated: http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/util/uninst.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:14 AM

You can find an old version of Spybot 1.3 at this link:
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=spybot

Scroll down to version 1.3
Download it.
Install it.
Go into Safe Mode.
Open Spybot and make sure that under Tools / Resident, TeaTimer, and SDHelper are disabled.
Go to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy, and locate unins000.exe, and double-click it.
Once it's uninstalled, delete the Spybot folder from C:\Program Files
Reboot into Normal Mode.
Install Spybot 1.4
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 sherrilw

sherrilw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:10 AM

Do I need to reinstall the newer version? I already have windows security (I only have the windows firewall enabled) and AVG PRO 7.5 Full Version? I'm trying to remove as much as I can so I can have more room for things I do want and need.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Sherri

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:00 AM

At a minimum, I suggest you run:
1 Antivirus
1 Firewall
AVG Anti-Spyware - Windows 2000 and XP, only.
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard

Useful Tutorials:
Using AVG Anti-Spyware
Using Ad-Aware SE
Using Spybot S&D
Using SpywareBlaster
Using SpywareGuard

The above programs, except for SpywareBlaster, are on demand programs, so they won't use up any system resources, until you run them.
Be sure to update them on a regular basis.
I do it every day.

I regards to your firewall, I suggest you get a third-party firewall, and not use the one that comes with Windows.
Windows firewall is not as secure, as a good third-party firewall.
It only checks incoming traffic.
A good third-party firewall will check both incoming, and outgoing, traffic.
Why check outgoing traffic?
Say you become infected with a Trojan.
A firewall that checks outgoing traffic, will notify you, that a program is trying to access the internet.
Windows firewall won't, so your system could be compromised, and you wouldn't know.

Several good firewalls are listed in the, Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic.

If you're using Internet Explorer as your browser, I suggest you install, and use, an alternative browser, such as Firefox.
It's a more secure browser than Internet Explorer, as it doesn't use ActiveX controls, but Java applets instead.
Also, if a security flaw is discovered (which doesn't happen often), it's usually fixed within a few days, as opposed to the months you have to wait for an Internet Explorer security patch

In most instances, you will find Firefox to be a faster browser than Internet Explorer, especially if you employ pipelining.
Firefox Web Browser - Pipelining

You don't have to uninstall Internet Explorer to use Firefox, or any other browser.
You can use as many browsers as you want, at the same time.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users