Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading To Vista

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:17 AM

I am current upgrading my laptop to vista business. My laptop is vista capable, however I don't know which version to choose, the first one is 32-bit the second one is 64-bit. Therefore, can anyone help me to determine this? thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:22 AM

Is your laptop 64bit capable first? 64 bit, I understand, is faster, if you have 64 bit software. 32 bit software are, I am told, just as compatible, but you will find they run slower than on the 32 bit machine. Perhaps if you are gazing into the future, and planning to upgrade you software, then 64 is the better choice. Maybe a reader with a 64 bit edition can confirm the speed loss??

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:48 AM

I'd be very, very cautious in using the 64 bit on a laptop. There just aren't many drivers available for it, and the specialized hardware in the laptop is likely not to have it. Check the manufacturer's site for these drivers before buying.

That being said, unless you're into the technology, you'll find the 32 bit version to be less of a PITA than the 64 bit will be.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:27 PM

http://au.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmen...2=24&l3=330

On the website, it has the specification for my laptop, can anyone check it for me? thanks!!

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:59 AM

64 bit on a laptop is a little more risky than a desktop, mainly because a notebook has some specialized drivers and hardware. 64-bit capable drivers may not be available for them yet. I have read that the 64-bit version of Vista is approximately 10% faster than 32-bit under certain conditions. Personally, I find Vista 64 faster than 32 EXCEPT when playing a few games. WoW64 may need to further optimized to handle 32-bit better. Here's a link to the article about the speed differences: http://64-bit-computers.com/windows-vista-...-benchmark.html

3939.png

#6 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:28 PM

how can I check if my laptop is 64bit or 32 bit?

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:32 PM

It depends on the processor mainly, Intel 64-bit capable processors are harder to differentiate from the 32-bit ones. For me anyway. AMD is easier to tell, Athlon 64, 64 X2, etc. The best thing to do is download CPUz and tell us which processor you've got. The link for CPUz is here: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

3939.png

#8 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:52 PM

My laptop has Intel Core 2 duo T7200, therefore is it capable with 64bit?

#9 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:52 AM

My laptop has Intel Core 2 duo T7200, therefore is it capable with 64bit?

Yes

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:30 PM

If you plan on going to 64-bit Vista, make sure you checked your drivers and software for compatibility.

3939.png

#11 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:56 AM

oright thx for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users