Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Money 2006

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mama4cats

mama4cats

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:07 AM

The tax man cometh..... to beat me in my dumb head with an idiot stick if I can't get that miserable Money program to cough up my data.

The program (Money) used to require a "Passport ID" to sign in to their online services, then this Windows Live ID thing took over and for me has never worked right. Now I can't get into my current or backup Money files with the Live ID, the Passport ID or any other #*%& ID. I've wasted January trading emails with Microsoft support? with no progress, other than it is a month closer to the April deadline.

Does anyone know if there is anyway to get my financial data from either a backup or the current file without the current Live ID password, or a way to extract the data independent of the money program?

I know the Passport ID from awhile back, and I have backup disks from the time that password was "the one". I would appreciate any help or guidance. I really don't want to have to re-create a decade of financials or be on the "audit for life" list.

Thanks.

It just kills me that some hacker in Outer Mongolia can probably empty my bank account quicker than I can post this message but I can't get my own data from that miserable program. Urrrrr. The IRS and Microsoft, humm, "compassionate"?, "user-friendly"? OMG, I'm so up the proverbial creek.

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:56 AM

Quicken claims to be able to, but you gotta buy their program :thumbsup:

#3 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:28 PM

Amazing Andrew -

Thanks, I'd heard about Quicken as well, but as it turns out, you can't import the data to Quicken unless you either know the appropriate password or can access the Money data and export to Excel and then import it, so looks like it isn't much use for my historical data, but I am using it from this point forward.

Meanwhile, I'm still looking for ways to force the money program to give me access to my existing data.

Thanks again!

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

Have you tried using an older version of Money to access the backup files?

Did this happen very suddenly? Have to uninstalled then reinstalled Money?

#5 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:10 PM

A. A. -

I used a computer on which money had never been loaded, installed the the 2005 version, and tried to open the last backup dated in Dec of 2005 using the p/w I know for sure was correct at that time. I also tried to open the backups from 2003, 04 and the most recent. Each time, I had received the incorrect user name/password error. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and upgrading 2005 and 2006, same outcome.

Background: I had no problems when using the "Passport ID"; the issue started when I foolishly signed up for their "Windows Live ID" credentials, which would, they claimed, improve the security of my data. And that is exactly what happened. The next time I tried to use the program, I could not access my data, thus proving improved security? After requesting "password help", I got the standard change your password email, and did so, but still recv'd the error message and no access. After a month or so of fiddling around trying to gain access, resetting p/w install/uninstall, etc, decided there was nothing in the program I couldn't live without, gave up, bought Quicken, moved on. 6 mo later, thinking about doing my taxes, remembered the problem accessing historical data, figured I was probably out of luck, but thought maybe someone at BC might know a way out I could coax the program to give me back my info.

BTW, noticed your signature. If one of those ceremonial duties is to note my lack of a viable "disaster" plan, I definitely agree, all the backup disks in the world are just shiny round things, unless you know the right password.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users