Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestion To Make Things Easier For New Members

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:56 PM

I had an idea that might make things easier for new members. I was on the site for about a month before I found the new user information.

What about creating a tab such as site orientation or new user? On that page can be all the orientation information and perhaps the BC rules as well. Maybe the tests and scribbles and some of the other general topic stuff could be on that tab making the forum tab shorter.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Proficient Support

Proficient Support

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:18 AM

Seems to me a nice idea. I'm new here and I sure like to get acquainted. :thumbsup:

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:28 PM

Good idea...added to my list of things to think about :thumbsup:

#4 olddog1947

olddog1947

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:04 AM

I would like to also vote for a newbie entry point that would not overwhelm someone when they first get into the site. If I remember right, I first got here while trying to solve something, which compounds the problem. You are so focused on getting the problem solved that you do not see the other advantages of this type of community.

Before I rant any farther, I would like to extend a very heart felt thank you to this forum, and to RichieUK specifically for the assistance on getting the problems with my computer fixed so fast. I fully intend to make a donation in the next few days to show my appreciation.

If I remember right, I originally got into this site via a google search on fixing some kind of problem, and I am thinking that between word of mouth and doing searches this is how many people arrive here. I would suggest a home page or some type of gallery that visually draws someone, even when they are in panic mode about real or imagined problems. From years of experience i can tell you that people will pay much more attention once that have been calmed down and realize that they are in good hands and that the problem will go away.

Something more to think about, how about a little history about the site. How and when it started, how you are able to enlist such a talented team, some of the inner workings, Etc. I know I would be interested.

So much for my two cents and a little more. I may not be a technical wizard by any means, but if there is anything i can do other than just feed the kitty, please let me know. I may have something you can use.
First Home Build Computer
Antec Case/Asus A7n8x-e/1 Gig Memory/AMD XP-2700
PNY 7600 gs Video/Creative Sound Blaster/2 Maxtor 80Gig HD
Windows XP Pro SP-2

An oldster who loves playing
with this stuff

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:51 PM

Orange Blossom

Just to follow up on your suggestion. In the near future something similar may
be added to the BC's TABs. For now however, staff responding to the introductions
threads are going to reference the New User Orientation link to help all along.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:04 PM

Not tabs, but there will be a link to the NUO soon.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,697 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

Nice job on that link. :thumbsup: I'm sure our new members appreciate it.

Orange Blossom
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users