Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Games "fast Forward"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rivenlord

Rivenlord

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:14 PM

Another issue I am having pertains to older games (pre Direct X 9) that seem to "fast forward". I was trying an old game out and the second I started it up it played at 200% speed. Everything in the game moved and played at fast motion. I would push the up arrow key to move and I would be halfway across the map. This also occurred in another game but the problem only happed durring in game cut scenes where it "fast forwarded. I have updated my video drivers to the latest version. Any ideas?

Radeon 1900XT PCI E
Windows XP Home SP2

Thanks

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 04 February 2007 - 11:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:23 PM

You can try and run it in compadability mode. Right click your short cut .exe and choose cmpadability.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:47 AM

Is Vertical Sync on or off?

If it's a really old game, it could probably be that Vertical Sync isn't locking your frame rates at a certain amount, thus the game runs really fast.

*edit* I didn't read your post the entire lenght so I'm not sure if this'll work or not. Guess you could always try.

Edited by Wizdabest, 05 February 2007 - 08:51 AM.

#4 Rivenlord

Rivenlord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:39 PM

I tried the compatibility to 98 and so on but to no avail. Vsync has not had an affect either. The game is Rayman 3 which speeds along like its on steroids! The second game is Undying, which the game runs normal, but the cut scenes speed along so fast you can barely understand the dialogue. The third game is Shadowman, which is somewhat different but playing in the game is impossible because every step I take the character slides across the floors of the level like he was on ice! Could this be a DirectX problem being that they are older games?

Thanks

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:51 PM

Sounds almost like a setting issue (if not, then it's most likely a compatibility issue). I've tried to run win98 games on xp and some (most) wouldn't work. I tried roughly 7 games and only 2 would work right.

Also, you can check the game settings themselves. Check to see if there's a "speed" or "game play (speed)" setting. In Command and Conquer: Generals, there's an option to increase/decrease the game play speed, you can make the units crawl, or move at warp 9.75.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:35 PM

You can try this program but I ve never used it before but had only heard about it.
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users