Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are There Any Good File Transfer Sites?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bill L

Bill L

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:09 PM

My daughter wanted to download Limewire. I know they are dangerous but JUST how bad are they? If I have a firewall and anti-virus am I still likely to get a virus? Is there a way I could use such a service securely?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 04 February 2007 - 11:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:12 AM

The program on its own is safe. What often causes problems is the content which is being shared. If you check the HiJackThis forum there are a lot of people who opened content which they got through P2P programs.

Obviously if you take caution and not simply open everything but scan with anti virus before doing anything with it you are moe or less safe. It is a dangereous world out there.

#3 madrox

madrox

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:54 PM

Personally if there was a p2p program like limewire on a pc i would suggest not doing anything private on it like online banking, etc. The first thing a virus will do is disable your antivirus and make holes in the firewall (if thats its intent). The smart ones WONT disable the antivirus, just let it run and make it look like its working ok and do their thing.

If someone in your family has to have something like that get a dedicated junk pc to do it with so when (not if) it gets infected you can format it and not lose your identity.

#4 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:01 AM

There is no foolproof way of using any p2p programs, but there are numerous precautions one should take when using such programs. The following links contain plenty of useful information that you should read through.

Limewire Support Center

Viruses on Network You Should Be Aware Of

What You Should Know About WMA/WMV Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users