Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several Problems

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 his1wife

his1wife

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:36 PM

hey i've been having a problem with my computer..iget this blue screen out of nowhere that tells me ihave to shut down my computer..heres the error message::

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: win32k.sys

Tech info:
*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xB4A612D4), 0x00000000, 0xBF8090ED, 0x00000000)
*** win32k.sys - Adress BF8090Ed base at Bf800000, DATEstamp 43446a58

iput up a new topic in the hijack this section and Old Timer told me to post a new topic here..ialso get this error message saying "truevector" isnt responding and that ineed to close it so ipress "don't send"

idon't kno what to do..its really annoying..once irestart my computer it brings up the not responding error message for "windows explorer"

ialso downloaded something to change my bootscreen but now iwant to change it back to normal..wen istart up my computer iget a screen askin which one iwant to start...ijus wanna get rid of the new one and put the old one

my standby button doesn't work either..wen ipress start > turn off computer..there are three buttons::
stand by
turn off
restart

turn off and restart are clickable but stand by is grayed out and iwant it back too
this is so frustrating because iuse stand by alot!

ok thanks so much to anyone that helps me =]

Edited by his1wife, 04 February 2007 - 09:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:19 PM

While the Hijack This team is working on the computer, please don't make any other changes. you may ruin the fixes.....
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:54 PM

Hi his1wife,

I think you should take OldTimer's suggestion and start by checking your memory (RAM).

Go to this webpage and read about memtest86+.

Down the page a bit you will find the download links for the most recent version, which is 1.70

If you have a floppy drive in your computer, download the Pre-compiled package for floppy (Dos-Win) to your desktop.

If you don't have a floppy drive, but do have a CD burner, download the Pre-compiled bootable iso (zip) to your desktop.

Both these versions are ZIP files. Right click the file and select Extract All. Follow the prompts and Windows will extract the program folder to your desktop. Open the folder and double click the README file. This will explain how to create either a bootable floppy disk or bootable CD. Note that for the CD you need a burner program installed, such as Nero or Roxio. The burner program help files will have instructions on how to burn an ISO image to CD.

Once you have created the disk you should follow the README instructions to run it.

Note that once booted, Memtest will run until you stop it. I suggest running three full passes. This could take a few hours.

One suggestion I would make is to run a separate check on each memory module, if you have more than one. To do this, you will have to shut down and unplug the computer, then remove the side cover and remove all the memory modules except one. Then reinsert the power cable and start up the computer to run the program.

Note that your BIOS must be configured so that your floppy drive or CD/DVD drive (as the case may be) is set as the first boot device. If it is not you will have to go into SETUP and change it.

If some of this sounds like a foreign language to you, please post back here with more questions. My main purpose in writing this answer was to give you an outline of what memory testing involves, and also to assure the folks on this forum that you are not currently doing a HijackThis log over on the Security forums. OldTimer sent you here because he believes (and I agree) that what you have is most likely a hardware issue.

Good luck,

Dave

#4 his1wife

his1wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

ok iwill try that..right now idont have an empty cd so it may take me a while before ican do it..thnks

Edited by his1wife, 06 February 2007 - 06:18 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:00 AM

Have you uninstalled Zone Alarm? If so, has the error stopped appearing? Since the major symptom (other than the BSOD) is the True Vector service - that's the first place to start.

Here's a link to the error message: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x50
As was suggested, the next place to check is the memory.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 his1wife

his1wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:06 PM

ok im trying that right now..i'll reply again after to see if the error message has stopped

#7 his1wife

his1wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:17 PM

ok idownloaded memtest86 but wen iextracted it got another zip file so iextracted that too and igot the README file that uwere talkin about but all it says is::

There is no visible file here.

Memtest86+ is located on the bootsector of this CD.

Just boot from this CD and Memtest86+ will launch.

im lost? was isupposed to burn the second zip file???

#8 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:19 PM

Hi,

When you click the Download - pre-compiled bootable ISO to your desktop you should see a file there named memtest86+-1.70.iso.zip . If you extract that file by right clicking and selecting extract all it should put a folder on your desktop. If you open that folder there should be a single file in the folder, called memtest86+-1.70.iso . It is not a zip file, but some zip programs may be able to open it. I think that's what happened in your case. Then you will see that little readme file. It is the .iso file that needs to be burned as a bootable ISO image.

I apologize for the confusion, the readme file is not included in that ISO image zip. To get it you will have to download the floppy package. That also will extract to a folder. Inside that folder is another folder named Floppy . Inside that folder are four files, one of which is the readme I referred to.

Did disabling Zone Alarm help?

#9 his1wife

his1wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

ok iuninstalled zone alarm completly..ihavent gotten a BSOD or a truevector error message since..maybe this was the actual problem and not my memory? im hoping it is because ireally don't want to change my memory or anything

#10 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:29 AM

I finally realized why you thought the ISO file was a zip. Your Windows is configured to hide file extensions.
This can be fixed.

1.Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
2. Double-click on the My Computer icon.
3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
4. After the new window appears select the View tab.
5. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
6. Press the Apply button and then the OK button and close out My Computer.
7. Now your computer is configured to show all file extensions.

If the BSODs have stopped since you uninstalled Zone Alarm that's probably where the problem was. Give it a few days to make sure. If the problem comes back, you'll have to check the memory.

Meanwhile, you shouldn't be running around the internet without a firewall. Here are some free alternatives:

Sygate

Outpost Firewall Free

Kerio personal firewall

For more information about firewalls, please read this tutorial.

#11 his1wife

his1wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:18 PM

ok istill havent gotten it THANK GOD! which one of those firewalls do uthink is the best? ithink itried sygate and didnt like it very much..idon't like the annoying firewalls that ask about every little thing ido because i've tried alot of firewalls that do that and iget really annoyed with them..by the way..ifound some files on my C drive that i've never seen before..im not sure if they may be anything but bad but iwanna see jus to stay on the safe side..can utell me if urecognize any of them and if they're bad or not? heres a list of the files::

DBS.txt
debug.log
driver.txt
dvdlog.txtexport.txt
helixprodctrl.dll
media.log
palsound.txt
pncrt.dll
SmartInstaller.log
squmdata00.sqm
squmdata01.sqm
squmdata02.sqm
squmdata03.sqm
squmdata04.sqm
squmdata05.sqm
squmdata06.sqm
squmdata07.sqm
squmdata08.sqm
squmdata09.sqm
squmdata10.sqm
squmdata11.sqm
squmdata12.sqm
squmdata13.sqm
squmdata14.sqm
sqmnoopt00.sqm
sqmnoopt01.sqm
sqmnoopt02.sqm
sqmnoopt03.sqm
sqmnoopt04.sqm
sqmnoopt05.sqm
sqmnoopt06.sqm
sqmnoopt07.sqm
sqmnoopt08.sqm
sqmnoopt09.sqm
sqmnoopt10.sqm
sqmnoopt11.sqm
sqmnoopt12.sqm
sqmnoopt13.sqm
sqmnoopt14.sqm
sqmnoopt15.sqm
sqmnoopt16.sqm
sz.xml
test.xml
touchpad.log
unins000.dat
unins000.exe
YServer.txt

Edited by his1wife, 07 February 2007 - 06:30 PM.

#12 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:23 PM

All of them will ask for every little thing when you first get them. . .Either that or they are insecure.

Posted Image

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:57 AM

If you don't like being asked by your firewall - then you should opt for one of the offerings from a major manufacturer. That will let the software make all the decisions for you. I'd suggest Norton or McAfee (but, then again, you probably know our opinions about Norton and McAfee).

I've used the Sygate firewall for several years (the last freeware version) and it's actually very unintrusive. But you do have to train it at first, and that can be a bit frustrating. After successfully training it, I rarely get popups from it - and that does set off alarms in my head! That's what it's there for.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 his1wife

his1wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

ok i'll try it sygate again..iactually HATE norton and mcaffee..idont think they work..i've switched back and forth between them several times and everytime..something went wrong and ihad to fix it again!..so i'll stay with sygate for a while and see how it is..thanks

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:10 PM

Just take your time with the Sygate and make sure that you set the rules safely. After a bunch of googling you'll figure out which are safe and which aren't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users