Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changed To Os Window 2000

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 redroset

redroset

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:12 PM

I had Windows98 and have just added Windows2000 as my operating system. Two questions: #1 - when my computer comes on, it asks which OS is want to open 2000 or 98. Do I now have two system on my pc; #2 - I now have no free space and my system is incredibly slow. What's going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:34 AM

For window to function properly it needs about 15% of the hard drive to be free. If you have fallen belowthis that could be your problem.
Do you remember what your free space was before the install?
Did you wish not to have 98 on your computer?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 redroset

redroset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:20 AM

I know I had a quite a bit of free space but not how much. I don't know any reason to have 98 also. Is there? I not very computer literate, don't do games or anything spectacular but I would like to have some speed back again.

My computer is old and had been cluttered but I was cleaning it up and now it's a mess. I have defragmented the 2000 but it's still unbelievably slow. Thanks so much for the reply.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:30 AM

If you would like we could try to speed it up? Could you give me the specs on your computer? RAM, HD size, Processor,..
I actually switched several of my computer from XP Home to W2000 Pro sp4. I find it a very stable and fast OS that require very little resources.

#5 redroset

redroset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:49 AM

Where do I find that info?

#6 redroset

redroset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:57 AM

Will this help?

Belarc's System Management

Operating System System Model
Windows 2000 Professional (build 2195) Compaq Deskpro 6000
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
333 megahertz Intel Pentium II
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache BIOS: Compaq 686V 02/04/98
Drives Memory Modules c,d
4.28 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
668 Megabytes Hard Drive Free Space

MATbleepA CD-ROM CR-5850
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

COMPAQPC WDE4360 SCSI Disk Device (4.29 GB) -- drive 0 128 Megabytes Installed Memory
Local Drive Volumes

c: (FAT32 on drive 0) 2.29 GB 614 MB free
d: (FAT32 on drive 0) 1.99 GB 54 MB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
Linda 2/4/2007 8:34:46 PM (admin)
local system accounts
Administrator never (admin)
Guest never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account EPSON Stylus C62 Series on USB001
Windows NT Fax Driver on MSFAX:

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Intel® 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] Matrox Graphics Millennium II AGP [Display adapter]
Default Monitor
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Adaptec AIC-786X PCI SCSI Controller
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller ES1869 Control Interface (WDM)
ES1869 Plug and Play AudioDrive (WDM)
Communications Other Devices
HCF 56K PCI Modem

All required security hotfixes (using the 01/09/2007 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary) have been installed.

Installed Microsoft Hotfixes [Back to Top]
Internet Explorer
SP1 (SP1)

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:51 AM

I see you have128MBs of RAM. Another 128Mb will run about $10 on eBay. You do have an old machine. It is a PC66. You should be able to run PC100 16 chip low density RAM in that computer.
The drive is SCSI. Good and bad. Good is you can add up to 7 drives on the same SCSI chain. Bad news is SCSI can be expensive to replace or up grade. Could you give e the Model number of that computer? You can always do away with the SCSI and use the IDE bus to install a much cheaper and lager EIDE drive.
I would not spend too much money on that box unless you really want to keep it. I would not spend more that $50 on it. Passed that you can by a good used computer for around $150 that will be a better investment.

#8 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:50 PM

I'm going to go ahead and totally agree with acklan, don't throw any more money at that machine.

If you no longer need windows 98, reinstall. you'll gain most of your space back and it will run better.

To reinstall just drop in the disk and reboot. Only this time, remove all partitions first then create 1 partition that uses the whole drive.
you really should backup all of your drivers first though.
If that's not really feasible (due to lack of cd burner or whatever) make sure you at least have your network card drivers so you can get online.

[Edit]
I noticed you only have a modem, and it's an hcf. This modem and I were bitter enemies about 6 years ago. make sure you still have the disk(s) for that.

Edited by Jombee, 07 February 2007 - 05:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users