Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slave Hdd

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shinji1146

shinji1146

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 04:43 PM

i have a old about 2 gb hard drive that has been sitting around and i was wondering if a could put it on my comp as a slave drive for backup purposes. can someone guide me through the process?
ill post with the hd specs later.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:08 PM

Slaving a hard disk drive on an IDE cable, a primer:

All IDE hard drives have jumpers (fig 1). These jumpers dictate to the system where the hard drive is (that is master or slave) in conjunction with their actual position on the IDE cable.

FIG. 1
Posted Image

Step 1: Find the manual for your model of hard drive (either the manual that came with the drive or online) and find the appropriate Jumper Settings section. Use the settings for Slave listed in the manual to set the jumpers on your hard drive. (Note the settings are sometimes also listed on the hard drive itself, but not always)

Step 2: Mount the hard drive in your computer below the master hard drive (Fig 2)

FIG. 2
Posted Image
Two Hard Drives mounted within a case. The Lower drive is
the slave, the upper is the master

Step 3: Connect the Master drive to the end connector of the IDE cable. Connect the slave drive to the middle connector on the IDE cable. (Fig 3)

FIG. 3
Posted Image

You're done! Post back with any questions/issues that you still have.

#3 shinji1146

shinji1146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:12 PM

okay i have done all of that and it works fine, but i do not know what to do because i had to remove the drive due to a thermal error. since its removal, the BIOS says that it couldnt find the primary (1) drive. i then press f1 and it boots up as normal. how can i fix this?

i also need to format the drive. how do i do that?

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:05 PM

For your first question, we'll need to know the make &model of your motherboard.

You second question is easier. In Windows XP & 2000, right-click on My Computer, and click on Manage from the menu. In the left-hand pane of the window that appears, click on Disk Management. This will diplay a representation of all your disk drives. Select the drive you wish to use (note: do not touch the drive marked as "(System)"):
Posted Image

The drive may need to be initialized, in which case right-click on the drive and click Initialize.

Now you must Partition the drive. Right-click on the drive in question and select New Partition to launch the partition wizard. It will ask you how much of the hard drive's space you want to allocate for the new partition. If you choose not to use the full capacity of the drive for this partition, you can create other partitons later on with the remaining space. For now, with only a 2GB drive, just use the max. You'll be asked to assign this new drive a drive letter, assign it the letter you wish (that hasn't been taken by an existing drive). In the next step, the wizard will ask you to format the drive. You should leave the settings as they are (you can change the Volume Label if you like) and press next. Windows will now format your new drive under the assisgned drive letter.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 07 February 2007 - 07:05 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:59 AM

It appears that your boot drive isn't your primary master - that's why the error occurs and it will let you boot.

Setting the controller for the removed drive to "None" in the BIOS should eliminate this message. But, should you ever decide to redo the system I'd suggest restructuring the setup so that you boot drive is your primary master.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 shinji1146

shinji1146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:11 PM

okay. i have resloved those problems with the drive. i just had my computer crash on me but not because of the new drive. somwthing to do with my printer. thanks alot guys. now i just need to format the drive and im done!

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:51 AM

Windows: Congradulations! You have successfully repaired Windows from a major error just in time for the next major...

ERROR! STOP 0x00f0f0dg (0x000fd00,0x00gfgdg,0x5645gfg,0xfs5574g)
USER_ATTEMPTED_TO_USE_COMPUTER

#8 shinji1146

shinji1146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

ha! thats funny!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users