Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Cleaner

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RMiller31

RMiller31

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:19 AM

Does anyone know of any registry cleaners that are pretty safe. All the ones that I've looked at so far bring back way to many registry files, for some reason they can't tell what files are needed to run your computer properly. So if anyone knows how to clean your registry without having to pick through all these extra files they give you, please reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:18 PM

I've been using the 2nd one for almost 4 years now. The 1st one, about a year, but they both are good and they both do a great job, and.... bot are FREE

Eusing Registry Cleaner
http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleane...try_cleaner.htm
Eusing registry cleaner is a fast and FREE, and most importantly, very good at cleaning out bad registry entries. Even if you use other registry cleaners, you should definitely add this one to your list.

Replendent Registrar Advanved Registry Manager
http://www.resplendence.com/registrar
Replendent Registrar is yet, another very good registry cleaner and manager. The latest version checks for hidden registry entries and can be used as a CLSID lookup utility. This has many advanced features, which makes it needed even more. Although this is not actually a FULL FREE version, I'm listing it because the lite version is FREE, but some features are disabled. But for the average joe, this will be a very useful tool.

Try them out. I'm sure they'll help you out tremendously.

#3 RMiller31

RMiller31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:16 PM

I have tried the Eusing Registry Cleaner it is a great cleaner for experienced people but for people who are not experienced it can mess up how their computer runs because it brings back more registry items then it should and if you don't carefully unpick some of them you could be deleting very important data that is needed to run your computer.
I have never tried Replendent Registrar Advanved Registry Manager, so i will give it a try.

I also found a very powerful cleaner called RegCure anyone that knows a lot about the registry please tell me if this cleaner would be safe to clean out everything that it finds or if you have to pick through the items found. Regcure is a top rated program that you have to buy, but if you go to RegCure.com they will give you a free scan but it will only get rid of 2 kinds of registry problems for free. Anyone that has tried this program tell me if it is safe to delete all the files found, and if there are any cleaners that are completely safe to delete all of the problems in the registry without deleting important files that are needed to run your computer.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:51 PM

Trusting registry cleaners is very dangerous. Unless you are somewhat knowledgeable about the software on your hard drive, you are well-advised to use less potentially harmful methods, or at the very least, be prepared to review each and every item recommended for deletion.
It cannot be repeated too often: if you muck around with your registry, ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP beforehand!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 RMiller31

RMiller31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:49 AM

Thanks for the input, I've been double checking everything that the program comes back and says to get rid of, i was hoping that there was a program that was safe out there but i guess there isn't so when i ever use one i will just have to uncheck unnecessary items.
I know a good amount about the registry but i don't know everything, so for files that i don't know i let them stay on my computer.

#6 bullkelper

bullkelper

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:07 PM

I found this topic while investigating a creeping sense that things were slowing down on my system (HP Pavilion a710n / with Windows XP - Service Pack 2).

The following seems to have sped things up for me. Following the advice of our IP tech (this AM) I went into my Control panel then; System / Advanced / Performance Settings / and in the Performance Options dialog on the Visual Effects tab I clicked on the 'Adjust for best perfomance button' (as opposed to the 'Let Windows choose what's best for my computer' button) then apply.

Doing this definitely seems to have sped things up, and also resulted in a change of colour on my task bars and such but so what...I'll take speed over colour scheme any day.

I also use AVG 7.5 (paid version), Spyware Guard, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Ad-aware (my Windows firewall is off). I ran all of these after doing the above.

The reason I'm wondering about Registry Cleaners is that Ad-aware always seems to find a couple of Virtumond objects and I delete them and carry on. This time it didn't but Spybot found two Virtumond Entries, in my registry. I asked Spybot to fix the problems but it says it can't because; ...the associated files are still in use (in memory). This could be fixed after a restart... It wasn't.

The thing that's always mystified me is where I keep getting these objects from in the first place and now I'm wondering if this is related to my registry, hence my wondering about registry cleaners. I've read enough now to know I should be scared of them so if anyone can lead me out of the darkness, even if its just to the edge of the light, I'd appreciate it.

Edited by bullkelper, 05 February 2007 - 05:10 PM.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,858 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:08 PM

I found this topic while investigating a creeping sense that things were slowing down on my system (HP Pavilion a710n / with Windows XP - Service Pack 2).

I also use AVG 7.5 (paid version), Spyware Guard, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Ad-aware (my Windows firewall is off). I ran all of these after doing the above.

The reason I'm wondering about Registry Cleaners is that Ad-aware always seems to find a couple of Virtumond objects and I delete them and carry on. This time it didn't but Spybot found two Virtumond Entries, in my registry. I asked Spybot to fix the problems but it says it can't because; ...the associated files are still in use (in memory). This could be fixed after a restart... It wasn't.

I wouldn't go with a registry cleaner. Virtumond is related to an infection, and likely has other stuff with it. Is your computer acting strangely other than running somewhat slowly?

Here is an excellent tutorial for improving the speed of slow computers: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44694/slow-computer/

The AVG 7.5 - I'm assuming that this is your anti-virus program?

There are a couple other good free anti-malware cleaners that would be good to add to your arsenal in any circumstances.

After following the suggestions in the slow computer tutorial, I would suggest first this: Run Spybot and AdAware in safe mode and see if that will get rid of those entries. The aforementioned tutorial has a link to directions for getting into safe mode.
++++++++++++++++++++
Next:
Download AVG AntiSpyware 7.5 (formerly Edwido) found here: http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
Directions for use in both normal and safe modes are provided here by our own quietman7:
http://www.castlecops.com/t137442-CCSP_Ewi...structions.html
You will also find the directions to disable the real-time scanning which I would advise doing right away as it is only available for the paid version which the free version is like for the first 30 days. I would suggest doing the scan in safe mode after setting up the proper scanning selections.
+++++++++++++++++++
Next:
Download and install SUPERAntiSpyware free found here: http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

Be sure to click on the download button to the left, not on the free trial download on the right.

Install it and double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.
It will ask if you want to update the program definitions, click Yes.
Under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
Click the Scanning Control tab.
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked:
o Close browsers before scanning
o Scan for tracking cookies
o Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
o Please leave the others unchecked.
o Click the Close button to leave the control center screen.
On the main screen, under Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer.
On the left check C:\Fixed Drive.
On the right, under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
Click Next to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
After the scan is complete a summary box will appear. Click OK.
Make sure everything in the white box has a check next to it, then click Next.
It will quarantine what it found and if it asks if you want to reboot, click Yes.
To retrieve the removal information for me please do the following:
o After reboot, double-click the SUPERAntispyware icon on your desktop.
o Click Preferences. Click the Statistics/Logs tab.
o Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
o It will open in your default text editor (such as Notepad/Wordpad).
o Please highlight everything in the notepad, then right-click and choose copy.
Click close and close again to exit the program.
+++++++++++++++
Let us know if these scans came out clean or if they found stuff - besides cookies of course.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 bullkelper

bullkelper

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'm working my way through the slow computer tutorial right now.

#9 bullkelper

bullkelper

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:26 PM

Acting strangely? Not really, just slowly mostly.

#10 Micht

Micht

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:51 PM

I use RegCleaner for almost 3 years. It's a great tool
Here: http://www.macecraft.com/ You can download new version ...

Edited by Micht, 06 February 2007 - 04:44 PM.

#11 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:28 PM

I've used RegSupreme and jv16 Power Tools for years. Never had a problem. Never had to restore a backup it made.

#12 RMiller31

RMiller31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:51 AM

Replendent Registrar Advanved Registry Manager
http://www.resplendence.com/registrar
Replendent Registrar is yet, another very good registry cleaner and manager. The latest version checks for hidden registry entries and can be used as a CLSID lookup utility. This has many advanced features, which makes it needed even more. Although this is not actually a FULL FREE version, I'm listing it because the lite version is FREE, but some features are disabled. But for the average joe, this will be a very useful tool.

Thank you for telling me about this program for experienced users this program is great, now I can search the registry and fix any problems that I have manually and any left over registry from programs that I unistalled, I can now completely get rid of all the data and improve my computer performance.

Edited by RMiller31, 08 February 2007 - 05:54 AM.

#13 RMiller31

RMiller31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:34 AM

The thing that's always mystified me is where I keep getting these objects from in the first place and now I'm wondering if this is related to my registry, hence my wondering about registry cleaners. I've read enough now to know I should be scared of them so if anyone can lead me out of the darkness, even if its just to the edge of the light, I'd appreciate it.

I believe that I can help bullkelper and anyone with registry problems that don't know a lot or any about the registry. I have searched through many registry cleaner programs, and many are just to powerful meaning that they can't cypher through what entries in the registry that the computer needs to run properly.
I have finally found a registry cleaner that I would call the safest registry cleaner out there. It isn't a free registry cleaner but for anyone that has a lot of problems in their registry or their computer is slower than it use to be i suggest to try out this program. The great thing about it is there is a 30 day trial period for the program that lets you have full access to the program and it will clean the entire registry.
TuneUp Utilities 2007
It is the safest registry cleaner I've ever seen so for beginners who try this program, I will tell you that so far I've found that everything that it comes back with is safe to get rid of. This is the first cleaner that I've found like this so still be careful I'm not sure if there might be a program or two that might slip through. The program does cover over 50000 errors, and it has an undo to replace back anything you got rid of. Also it has other programs in it to help your computer run faster such as the TuneUp System Optimizer that can help spped up load times for your internet connection by changing setting for you through you internet and it doesn't matter what program you use for the internet.
When you scan the registry go ahead and delete everything from the list if there would happen to be a slip in the program and something get through just undo the cleaning of the registry.

And after you clean your computer completly you can download a free anti-spyware program that includes Real-Time Protection, HIPS and antivirus. It removes spyware, adware, trojans, keyloggers, home page hijackers and other malware threats. Scans your computer's hard drives, memory, process, registry and cookies to remove all known spyware threats.
Spyware Terminator
This is a great program when people don't want to go out a spend money on a program, it one of the only anti-spyware, anti-virus protector out there that offers no limitations to the product with real time protection which protects your computer from new spyware or viruses attacking your computer.

#14 pipester

pipester

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:36 PM

I would also recommend RegSupreme or RegSupremePro, by Macecraft Software.

Marc
A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

#15 Micht

Micht

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:01 PM

RegCure is also a good tool.
More http://fix-computer-problem.com/regcure/index.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users