Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice On Buying A Dvd Burner

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oz_herb

oz_herb

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:04 AM

hi ppl im in the market for a dvd burner.im not exactly sure what i need and im in no real rush to go back to school to learn!.... enter you guys....ive been having a look around the shops and im looking at $70 or more(depending on a no name /unherd of to a known brand for a bit extra for a burner ...thou looking on ebay there seem to be a few that i could pick up cheap?
here are few links to some of the ones similar that i have seen around (i live in australia if that makes any differnce to your advice) thanks in advance.Oz.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-EXTERNAL-USB-PI...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-USB-EXTERNAL-BL...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-SAMSUNG-18-X-DV...1QQcmdZViewItem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:26 AM

For starters,, forget ebay...... go to the store and buy your burner.

This is not a big deal, all you really need to look for when buying a dvd burner is to make sure that it will burn double-layer. Double-layer will allow the burner to burn on a 8.5G dvd, whereas a regular(single-layer) dvd burner can not burn to those discs.

The cost is no different... and if you have $70-$90(US), you can get you a dvd burner. The name brand doesn't really matter when comparing qualities and features. But it's not a big decision to have to make. Just make sure you're getting a double-layer dvd burner.

If you want to go all the way out, I have a HP-DVD640i, and not only is it a double layer burner, it has LightScribe technology in it. LightScibe is a technology whereas that you can take your discs out when you're done burning (dvd/cd),, flip it over, put it back in the burner, and it'll burn the label on the disc. :thumbsup: I paid close to $100 for it, which was almost 2 years ago, so it should be cheaper by now. But... I went to the store and bought it. If you got access to stores/malls or whatever, go there and buy one.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:47 AM

Most burners are dual layer by now, and you can get lite scribe as well. Dual layer is nice to have, but the media is still about two dollars each. If you are going to be backing up movies there is software like DVD Shrink and DVDFab which will compress the information to fit on a 4.7GB disc. If you are going to spend that much I would seriously consider buying a Plextor, you can get one for just short of $100. US dollars. You can check out the Plextor here. If you don't want to spend that much check out this Lite-On, this has the fastest reading technology on the market right now, and is a sweet deal at $35.99 US dollars.
Sorry you guys down under can't buy from them, but you should be able to find similar deals there.

I'm not impressed with the deals from Ebay, you can get as good or better deals on new burners at retail stores. If for some reason there is a problem with the burner it's a hassle to return it and get you money back, if they will allow you to. And if you haven't figured it out by now, don't ever buy anything "as is", unless you like collecting junk.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:58 AM

I have a HP dvd840 which gives me Duble layer and Light Scribe for under USD. 70

#5 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:11 PM

@dc3 - that deal on the lite-on is amazing! Lightscribe for under 50 dollars?! That's going in my new rig!

@herb - you will be able to find a dvd burner for under 70-90 dollars easy. It's just that sometimes they are less reliable, and you would probably be getting and oem, which would come without cables or drivers.

Posted Image

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:11 PM

@dc3 - that deal on the lite-on is amazing! Lightscribe for under 50 dollars?! That's going in my new rig!

@herb - you will be able to find a dvd burner for under 70-90 dollars easy. It's just that sometimes they are less reliable, and you would probably be getting and oem, which would come without cables or drivers.

I have a friend that just got one and likes it very much. Not only does it have the fastest read speed, but their firmware is some of the best out there.

I have a NEC 3550A which is still a solid dual layer burner, it's no longer offered from newegg or tiger direct. If I was looking into a new burner in that price range I definitely would go for that Lite-On. Sadly NEC's new burner was made in conjunction with Sony who has the dubious distinction of having some of the more questionable firmware. I fear for NEC's reputation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users