Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secondary Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 altishima

altishima

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:56 AM

In the near future, I will be in the market for a secondary hard drive for use with work since my primary is only about 40 GB.

I started looking for an external USB, but everyone I've spoken with has said it's usually much cheaper and perhaps even more reliable to kit an internal drive.

What exactly should I be looking for when I make this purchase? I know the basics, a case and the hard drive itself, but how can I make it USB and will it need to be a certain connection type (Serial/Parallel) ?

I'd appreciate any pointers you could give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:36 AM

I would certainly recommend installing a additional hard drive into your computer as a slave; it is generally less expensive, slightly faster, and less open to transfer errors because of bad connexions.
An external hard drive, on the other hand, is portable between different computers, but in some ways less secure and subject to accidental damage. Most external HDs employ USB ports.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:56 AM

I would highly recommend installing another harddrive, or even replacing your old one with a new one. I would check inside your case to make sure there is room for a 3.5" harddrive (the slot should be right below the floppy drive, or in a dell and the bottom right hand corner of the case), and that you have a place to plug it in. Some older computers only have 1 ide port, which would only allow you to use a cd/dvd drive and a harddrive. If you only have one, either get an external or think about completely replacing the old one. Maybe even make the old one an external! Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#4 altishima

altishima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:30 PM

Well...I have a laptop and I'll not all that keen on opening it up and voiding the warranty just yet :flowers: .

This laptop only has 2 usb ports, 1 bluetooth compatible port, and one serial port. The only other connection option I have is ethernet.

So basicially, I need to know is it possible to fit an internal drive with a case and make it external, USB connectable, as well as portable? Or should I just go ahead and search for a good, reliable external USB hard drive? :thumbsup:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:20 AM

With a laptop it's generally much easier to use an external drive. Most laptops only have room for 1 hard drive inside the case - so putting a second one isn't possible.

I've got a nice Western Digital Passport 120 gB external drive that fits in my shirt pocket.

You can also use a drive caddy to hold another 2.5" drive and connect it via USB. If you want to use a 3.5" drive in a caddy, you'll have to find a power outlet to plug it in each and every time you want to use it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:19 PM

If leaning towards an external HD, make sure your laptop has USB 2.0 instead of the older, slower 1.1. Most newer HD's now connect via USB 2.0. For the price, it's usually less expensive if you buy an internal HD, and mount it in a case for USB connection. I've found some good deals after rebates at http://www.bensbargains.net
drymobius

#7 adamg

adamg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:06 AM

A few tips if your hard drive is from home to work then use an external, if not use an internal if strickly at home, besides you save money. Also check your hard drive jumper settings, so they are correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users