Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive Letters

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:21 AM

My hard drive has 4 partitions, 3 with a different XP operating systems on, and the 4th I use for backups. When I boot to partition 1 ©, The drive letters for the 4 partitions are C - D - G - H. When I boot to partition 2 (D), The drive letters change to C - D - E - F. I was wondering if there were any settings that could prevent the drive letters from being changed this way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:08 AM

It has to do with what type of partitions they are I think (eg a primary partition as opposed to logical partitions inside an extended one).

Reading this may help: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/part.htm

In the left pane, click on the last link "Drive Letter Assignment and Choosing Primary vs Logical Partitions".

Edited by pip22, 04 February 2007 - 09:11 AM.

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:42 AM

It has to do with what type of partitions they are I think (eg a primary partition as opposed to logical partitions inside an extended one).

Reading this may help: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/part.htm

In the left pane, click on the last link "Drive Letter Assignment and Choosing Primary vs Logical Partitions".

Thanks for trying but I am struggling to make sense of this article. This could be because it appears to have been written basically for earlier versions of Windows rather than XP. Nonetheless, the article is also inaccurate in as much as it tells us that drive C is a primary partition, and that a primary drive is only needed because it is required to boot the operating system. It also suggests that all other partitions are automatically allocated drive letters D, E, F and so on.

To my way of thinking, the computer can only boot to the C drive, which has to be an active partition not a primary one. While any other partitions containing an operating system have to be a primary. Plus XP normally assigns letters D and possibly E to the CD ROM drives. I say normally because depending on which operating system I boot to, the CD ROM drive letters also change.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:34 AM

Would this shed any light on the matter? What is an active partition. Partition info

#5 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:05 PM

Would this shed any light on the matter? What is an active partition. Partition info

Thanks fozzie, (this) was an interesting read in the sense that it told me something I didn't know about, removing a drive letter. However, there's nothing that explains why after assigning a drive letter to each partition, those drive letters are changed depending on which OS I boot to.

Still, I am learning all the time though. When I first noticed the problem, even the C drive letter was changing. This turned out to be because I had used an image from another drive to install one of the OS's, not realising that the image was originally from an active partition. This gave me two OS's booting as a C drive :-))

#6 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:16 PM

to change a drive letter
Right click My computer and choose Manage
in the left pane click Disk Management (you may have to expand the storage option) in the right window bottom half, right click on the drive in question and choose "change drive letter and path(s)"

2 things to remeber
don't EVER change the letter of the system drive. really don't do that, bad things happen and baby jesus cries

#7 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:50 AM

to change a drive letter
Right click My computer and choose Manage
in the left pane click Disk Management (you may have to expand the storage option) in the right window bottom half, right click on the drive in question and choose "change drive letter and path(s)"

2 things to remeber
don't EVER change the letter of the system drive. really don't do that, bad things happen and baby jesus cries

Thanks. Yes I do know how to change a drive letter. What I want is to stop the computer automatically changing it again when I boot from one operating system to another.

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:48 AM

I have been looking around, on the system where you have C,D,E,F can you see you optical drives?

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:56 AM

I would suggest changing the drive letters in one instance of XP to reflect the drive lettering scheme in the other instance of XP.

Be aware that XP will prefer to use the partition that it's on as C: - and, if you change it, be prepared to repair Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:33 AM

I have been looking around, on the system where you have C,D,E,F can you see you optical drives?

Yes, I can see the optical drives. Anyway, to solve the promblem, I have decided to change the drive letters of every partition bar C to X, Y and Z. This way the two optical drives will always be D and E. Lets hope this stops the other partition letters changing. I'll let you know how it goes :-)) Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users