Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Works, But Online Games Don't

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bryan5255

bryan5255

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:04 PM

Basically I know my internet is working, but when I try to play an online game or do anything that has to have a constant interaction with my computer it doesn't work. For example downloading anything works, along with buffering a video to be watched from online. Playing a game or listening to an online radio doesn't(both of which require the computer to continually interact online). I have my computer set to automatically update any new security settings so I was thinking that it may be some setting that I just need to change. It may also be a virus, but I think it is most likely the other. I have run Norton AntiVirus several times just in case and have come up with nothing each time. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:35 PM

There are all sorts of "on-line" games; if you could give one or two examples, this information may help. For example, some on-line games require Java, and you may not have it on your computer, or an outdated version.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 bryan5255

bryan5255
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:27 AM

Sorry I didnt' specify very well as far as the online games go. As far as I can tell the only online games that don't work are multiplayer games. Such as Half Life 2, Unreal Tournament, and even an online poker game doesn't work. Whenever there is a continual interaction between my computer and another it doesn't seem to work.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:51 AM

did you open ports?> please check www.portforward.com for details

Edited by fozzie, 04 February 2007 - 09:51 AM.

#5 bryan5255

bryan5255
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:47 PM

I checked that web site and after going through the ports don't seem to be the problum, but thanks for the advice. Also I would like to add that I can't get any of my IM to work. It's a real pain as I can't talk online to any of my friends unless we send e-mails back and forth and use it like IM, but that would take 10 times longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users