Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Code 41 On Cd/dvd Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shaver

shaver

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:32 PM

Hi,

My Packard Bell laptop (less than a year old) has suddenly developed a problem with the cd rom/dvd drive. Basically it doesn't recognise it as being there anymore!! If you look in my computer, the drive is not listed at all.

Went into Device Manager, and sure enough there was a familiar big yellow exclamation mark on the device. It was listed as a Code 41 problem, the drivers had been installed but Windows was unable to locate the drive.

I tried several reboots, but no success, and also tried add hardware, and searching for new drivers, but basically drew a blank!

Find it real hard to believe that the drive is faulty as the laptop is not only fairly new, but the drive has only been called on to perform on very rare occasions.

Any suggestions out there from you brainy people would be appreciated.

cheers

Shaver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:43 PM

First try this :

My Computer - right click properties Hardware - delete the drive at fault ( by selecting it and press delete) - Reboot The screen hardware wizzard will come up asking whther you want to install a new device do so and see whether it will improve

#3 shaver

shaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for that Fozzie, much appreciated.

Did as you suggested, and the hardware wizard thingy detected the drive and reinstalled the drivers. Unfotunately that was it, Code 41 still persists, drivers installed, but Windows not detecting the drive!!

What's your next best guess please? Is this now definitely a hardware fault?

Regards,

Shaver

#4 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:36 AM

Try this

Attention this is a registry tweak!!!! Back up your registry PLease look at this guide How to back up your registry prior to doing so

#5 shaver

shaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:04 PM

fozzie your an absolute star!!!!

Followed all the instructions to the letter, and rebooted. Went straight into My Computer, and the CD Drive was back!!!

Many, many many thanks,

Cheers
Shaver

#6 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 04:27 PM

My pleasure . Please also do the following :

Create a restore point. If it get snaffued again you allways can go back to this

The easiest and safest way to do this is:

* Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
* Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
* Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
* Click "OK".
* Click the "More Options" Tab.
* Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Glad to be of help

#7 shaver

shaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:31 PM

ok, followed all those instructions too.

once again thanks for your time and trouble fozzie, i'm a real happy, grateful person

cheers

Shaver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users