Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions For Video Card Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FJB2004

FJB2004

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:51 PM

I need to upgrade my video card for gaming purposes. I have not dealt with this before so I need all the help I can get. I have been researching this all day today and no luck. There are so many to choose from and also I don't know which are capatible with my system.

My system:
Dell Dimension 8300
2.66 Mghz Pentium 4
3GB SDRAM DIMM

Video card now:
NVIDIA GeForce MX 420
AGP 4X

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:26 AM

are there any PCIe 16 slots on your motherboard or only AGP? this will drastically narrow down the cards to look at.

#3 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:48 AM

AGP 8x is backwards compatible with 4x, so you should look for those. And AGP is being replaced by pci-e, but on newegg, its like 400 pci-e compared to 100 AGP cards to choose from. Still a pretty good selection.

If you want the absolute best AGP solution and are willing to put forth several hundred dollars, the top of the line are the ATI Radeon x1950 (pretty sure this is in agp flavor) and the Gainsward Nvidia GeForce 7800.

For around $100-200 you get into the Geforce 7600-7800 and high end Radeon x1k series.

Mid ranged gaming cards are around $100 and include nvidia 6600-6800 and 7300(though the 7300 is considered low end, its still in this price range and has good performance) Note I have a 6800 agp and it plays any game i throw at it very well (mostly high settings) and gets me a 3dmark06 score of around 1500-2000. On ATI's side, there is the x700-800 and such.

Low end cards can be had at around $50-$100ish and are the 6200, x300 and similar. Can still play some new games at decent settings.
I would definately not go any lower than that(like to the 9xxx ATI or Nvidia FX series.)

The best place to compare video cards is http://www.tomshardware.com/graphics/index.html
They still compare AGP and have kind of new 'best AGP card for the money' things and VGA charts.

Good luck.

Edited by nforce, 04 February 2007 - 01:50 AM.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 04:26 AM

Getting anything above, say, a 7600 would be a waste since you would be CPU limited, and not able to make use of the extra power.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 karno7

karno7

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:05 AM

I run a Sapphire Radeon 9550SE in my Compaq Evo. Had to get a cheap AGP4X low profile card and it fit the bill. Paid $50AUD for it and it runs just about any modern game on medium to high settings beautifully. AGP is going to be around for a fair while, PCIe won't eradicate it any time soon and note that no production mobo's would ever have both an AGP & a PCIe slot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users