Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Anyone Help Me? This Is A Weird One...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 duhpunk

duhpunk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:33 PM

My computer is blue screening momentarily, then rebooting. To clear up the obvious questions first, my computer is a year old. It is a Sony Vaio VGN-FS740. I started having the problem 2 months ago. Since then, I have had the motherboard replaced, RAM replaced, and I have ran a full recovery and re-formatting of my hard drive multiple times and the problem keeps coming back. The computer is in perfect shape and has never been exposed to weather or dropping. I am running windows XP with full updates, Norton 2007, and Windows Defender. I just finished a recovery about an hour ago and the problem is already recurring. The only things I have downloaded are AIM, Opera, Windows Defender, and PolicyKey (it is required to get on to my school's network). I have noticed a few strange things about my recurring problem. One is that 99% of the time, I am online on the school's network when it blue screens (one other instance happening on free wi-fi at Panera). It has never done this at home or while I was offline. Two, is that once I got rid of Firefox before I reformatted the hard drive, the frequency of the problem cut in half. I have narrowed it down to 3 possible solutions. Please tell me which one sounds the most plausible: PolicyKey.exe, the settings on my school's network causing something to run wrong, or a hardware shortage developed seemingly out of nowhere. I need to pinpoint the solution as soon as possible, or this semester is going to be hell.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:56 PM

Disable automatic re-start on system failure.
This will allow you to get the BSOD to post long enough, for you to copy the information, and post it here:

Click Start.
Click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance.
Click System.
Click the Advanced tab.
In the Startup and Recovery box, click the Settings button.
In the System Failure box, uncheck Automatically restart.
Put a check in Write an event to the system log, and Send an administrative alert.
Click OK.
Reboot.

On the next BSOD, write it down, word for word, and post it here.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users