Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online Scan

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nita

Nita

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

My system has reently become very unstable. I have windows 98SE and IE6. I use AVG free which is updated regularly also Zonealarm free but cannot update it as it always says that windows XP is necessary.I run adaware personal and spybot regularly. I have in the past used the free online scanners both Panda and Trendmicro. I cannot now seem to get started with Panda and each time with Trendmicro I get so far and then the system either crashes or freezes. Does this mean I am infected with something. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

Below are the minimum requirements for Trendmicro:

Home > Products

Trend Micro™ HouseCall

FREE on-demand service scans your PC for viruses, spyware, and more.
Trend Micro™ HouseCall™ is a FREE Web-based solution designed to scan your PC for a wide range of Internet security threats including viruses, worms, Trojans, and spyware. It also detects system vulnerabilities and provides a link so you can easily download missing security patches. After each scan, HouseCall delivers a detailed report, which identifies security threats detected on your computer.

Scan Now. It's Free!

System Requirements:

Trend Micro’s HouseCall requires the following minimum system components:

Hardware:

* 133MHz Intel™ Pentium™ processor or equivalent
* 64MB of RAM
* At least 30MB of available disk space

Operating System:

* Microsoft Windows 98SE/NT4.0,SP6a/2000,SP2/XP,SP1/2003 and Windows MCE 2005
* Linux Distributions that supports libc6
* Solaris 2.6 and above

Software:

* Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 6.0 or later
* Mozilla Firefox 1.0.5, 1.0.6, 1.0.7, 1.5
* Mozilla 1.7.12
* Display: Monitor that supports 800 x 600 resolution at 256 colors or higher

Why not post a Hijack This log and let the experts take a look. Follow the directions in the link below and post in the appropriate forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Nita

Nita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:48 AM

Thanks Buddy. I have all the requirements. 512 MB Ram lots of space on the hard drive and an Athlon MD processor I have run the Trend micro housecall scan in the past but can't do it now.

#4 Nita

Nita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:19 AM

I cannot now run HJT. When I try to save the log I get a box Adobe download manager and a message which reads; The download cannot continue Error parsing voucher. This makes no sense to me as I have saved the HJT.exe on my computer.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:38 AM

Try renaming the HJT file to something else before running it. Some malware specifically target this file, which is why renaming it can help.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:58 AM

Open the HijackThis Folder, find the HijackThis.exe file, right click on the file and select rename. Type Analyze.exe and hit "Enter". Double-click on Analyze.exe (which is still hijackthis) to run the program. If needed, change the .exe to something else such as .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr. Example: Analyze.bat or Analyze.com
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Nita

Nita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:28 AM

I tried renaming but it did 't do the rick so I uninstalled the Adobe download manager and that did it. I posted the log in the HJT forum but noone has looked at it yet. I now don't know how to get the Adobe download manager back. Can You help on this?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:07 AM

After posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc.) unless advised by a HJT Team member. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Nita

Nita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:46 AM

Thanks Quietman for the explanation. I shall be patient.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:54 AM

Your welcome and good luck.