Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy And Paste Errors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sease12

sease12

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:28 PM

In Word I right clicked to use the paste function. A paragraph was pasted to my Word document that I had never typed/read/copied/seen. This paragraph reads as a 'personal ad' with some of my personal information inserted (i.e. gender, age, location, height, weight). I am sure I have filled in the previously noted information at some point for other reasons (email set up, various forms). I promptly ran Spybot (which found 8 viruses), Stinger (which found 7) and the McAfee installed on my computer (which found 4 more). Since I have not had this same problem. What could be the cause of this? Has anyone see this before? Thanks for any information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:27 PM

Hi sease12

Viruses, worms, and other forms of malware can come from various sources. You can become infected through e-mails, downloading of files - especially from peer to peer (p2p) sites, messenger services like MSN or Yahoo (The bad guys target you through these methods from time to time too), or web sites that run malicous content on their sites. It almost becomes a question of: Where did you go? and How careful are you with your computer?

May I suggest running a few more scans. Download and scan with AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 and SUPERAntiSpyware. Both packages are free.

Remember to keep Windows XP, and your virus program updated. Have a good firewall installed on your computer, and do routine scans with the products you downloaded to help keep you safe.

I hope this helps.

rigel

ps... I am moving this topic to our "Am I infected?" forum. Others can add further comments.

take care!

Edited by rigel, 03 February 2007 - 05:30 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:28 PM

In Word I right clicked to use the paste function. A paragraph was pasted to my Word document that I had never typed/read/copied/seen. This paragraph reads as a 'personal ad' with some of my personal information inserted (i.e. gender, age, location, height, weight). I am sure I have filled in the previously noted information at some point for other reasons (email set up, various forms). I promptly ran Spybot (which found 8 viruses), Stinger (which found 7) and the McAfee installed on my computer (which found 4 more). Since I have not had this same problem. What could be the cause of this? Has anyone see this before? Thanks for any information

Posted Image to BC sease

Can you post the reports of these programs?We want to know what we are fighting to determin which is the best remedy. Thanks

Edited by fozzie, 03 February 2007 - 07:29 PM.

#4 sease12

sease12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:21 AM

Unfortunately this happened several weeks back and I dont have the virus scan reports. I have been looking for answers to this issue but have been unsuccessful thus far. Any ideas???

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:25 AM

Has this happened again? It might just have been some garbage still lingering in your clipboard.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 sease12

sease12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:47 PM

Thankfully it has not happened since I found the 19 viruses....however I am still looking for an answer to the problem as I am 'guilty until proven innocent' at home. Could the circumstance that I have previously explained be the work of a virus?? If not, where could it possibly have come from?? Thanks!

#7 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:03 AM

If, unwillingly, personal information comes up, there is a chance that some malicious malware has been installed on your computer. Let's start from scratch :

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:

* Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
* Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
* Under Browsing History, click "Delete".
* Click "Delete Files", "Delete cookies" and "Delete history"
* Click Close below.

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have Firefox installed):

* Go to Tools > Options.
* Click Privacy in the menu..
* Click the Clear now button below.. A new window will popup what to clear.
* Select all and click the Clear button again.
* Click OK to close the Options window

* Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin

* Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
* Let it scan your system for files to remove.
* Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
* Press OK to remove them.

Than, in normal mode, run an online antivirus check from at least two and preferably three of the following sites. Suggest 2,4 and 5
BitDefender
Computer Associates Online Virus Scan
Panda's ActiveScan
Trend Micro Housecall
Windows Live Safety Center Free Online Scan
This scanner from Trend does not require an Active X to run.

1. Detects and removes malware ( viruses, worms, trojans, etc. )
2. Detects and removes grayware and spyware
3. Restores damage caused by malware to your system.
4. Notifies about vulnerabilities in installed programs and connected network services.
5. Multi-platform support for: Windows, Linux, Solaris.
6. Easy-to-use with the Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.

If nothing comes up than do this

IMPORTANT NOTE: Backdoor Trojans are very dangerous because they provide a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans as part of an exploit to to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge. If your computer was used for online banking or has credit card information on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for email, eBay and forums. You should consider all your passwords to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. Do not change passwords or do any transactions while using the infected computer because an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breech.

If the 3 online scans plus the two rigel has suggested come up clean we should took a look at your safety measures which were installed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users