Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Kernel32.dll File

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 draven

draven

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:18 PM

Hello,

I get that message when i open Internet Explorer, in the error report kernel32.dll is listed.

Please help, thanks.

Here is my HijackThis log : -

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 20:14:54, on 03/02/2007
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X1100 Series\lxbkbmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X1100 Series\lxbkbmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\lexpps.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.ExE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X1100 Series] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark X1100 Series\lxbkbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1158429433242
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{CA2DB896-A815-4CFB-BC5B-599283DEE889}: NameServer = 85.255.114.43 85.255.112.165
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Microsoft authenticate service (MsaSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msasvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: PCTEL Speaker Phone (Pctspk) - PCtel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

Hi draven, :flowers:

We're studying your log and will be back to you a.s.a.p.

Thanks for your patience. :thumbsup:

#3 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:32 AM

Hi draven, :thumbsup:

Welcome to BleepingComputer Forums and thanks again for your patience.

1. Since you're way behind on critical updates I want you to download and install XP SP1a! before we continue applying some necessary tools.

2. You're using an outdated version of Java (latest one is Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.0). Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please update and remove the older versions. Do the following:
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on the Software icon > add/remove programs.
  • Search in the list for all previous installed versions of Java. (J2SE Runtime Environment.... )

It should have next icon next to it: Posted Image
    Select it and click Remove.
  • Then Download and install the newest version from here:

Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.0
3. Go to your Hijackthis folder present in C:\Program Files and rename Hijackthis.exe to Analyse.exe and than reboot.
After reboot, run Analyse.exe (which is hijackthis of course) and post the log it creates in your next reply.

4. Finally I have a question regarding your remark:

in the error report kernel32.dll is listed.

To be sure, was it kernel32.dll or kernel32.dlI (mark the difference!!) mentioned in the report?

#4 draven

draven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:26 PM

kernel32.dll is listed.

#5 draven

draven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:25 AM

I can't download the SP1a update.

Can i download a updated kernel32.dll file, would that solve the problem?

thanks

Edited by draven, 05 February 2007 - 07:25 AM.

#6 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:43 PM

I can't download the SP1a update.

The link works fine for me, try it again please. Do you receive an error?; remember, any info on what might help to understand what is going on helps.

Can i download a updated kernel32.dll file, would that solve the problem?

No because it's not necessarily kernel32.dll causing the problem.

Did you install new software or did you change any hardware configuration just before the error occurred for the first time?

For the moment the best thing to do is try to clean up the computer first so I suggest you follow the instructions from my first post.

#7 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:17 AM

You have sent me a PM explaining that you use an illegal Windows version. I think it's important that you realise that Windows should be updated and patched because otherwise you will always be open for infections, more holes are being found all the time that can be exploited and all the help you get is like carying water to the sea. I therefore strongly urge that you purchase and install a legit copy, then promptly update it... If you are in the US, you can find a reasonably priced copy here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?cat...=368&DEPA=6

Otherwise use Google to find a good bargain.

That said if you want to try and clean up the computer for the moment, I suggest you follow the instructions from my first post and post the results here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users