Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop Error, Bugcheck, Etc.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 David S

David S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:54 PM

Disc 1 of 11 has ghost.exe.

My nephew built the machine. I've had it for almost three years. This is the first problem with it.
What info do you need?
Intel BIOS: BF86510A.86A.0077.P25
Intel Board: D865GLC
Nvidia (EVGA) Graphic: GeForce FX-5200

I still wonder if this has something to do with the file(s) that could not be uninstalled from the Lifecam VX-3000?
Someone else had a similar problem with a Logitech cam.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:23 AM

It's likely that, if you run the Ghost.exe, you'll restore the system to the date that the Ghost image was made (losing anything that you haven't backed up in the meantime).

I'd give your nephew a call to see if he's got an appropriate XP disk for you to use. You may be able to extract the needed info/programs from the Ghost image - but it'll take a bit of work.

If that's not possible, then the easiest thing to do would be to backup your important data - then run the Ghost routine. Then sit through the endless Windows Updates, then reinstall your programs.

If you plan on keeping the machine, you may want to make a Ghost image of the setup after you add all the updates, programs, etc. That'll make it easier to restore the next time that this happens.

This'll fix things if it's a software problem. Early on in the post, Albert speculated that this may be a hardware problem - and I'm speculating that right along with him.

The software fix (using Ghost.exe) will be easier than the hardware troubleshooting - and it'll be less expensive.

If the software fix doesn't work - then you can move onto troubleshooting the hardware. My "guess" is that it's a bad video card - but that's only a guess. You can also receive these symptoms from many other components inside the case.

You can run tests on your memory (free at: http://www.memtest86.com/ ) and on your hard drive (the SMART feature of this free utility: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php ) but after that it's a matter of replacing parts (which is where the $'s or really good friends come in).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#18 David S

David S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:48 PM

Thanks John, I'll run these over the weekend, when I have time.
EVGA does not have a utility to test their graphic cards.
I'll give you the results when I run it.

#19 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:13 AM

There's some generic software that'll give you a bit of info on your video card - but no real testing software that I've seen. With video cards I use an older card that I've got laying around to swap and test.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users