Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More Restart Issues

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ldg

ldg

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 01:24 PM

I have been following the "PC Keeps Restarting" thread by "Cozy" closely but have found I have some different issues apart from those reported in that thread.

The computer we're dealing with here is a HP Pavilion a250n, 2.6 GB, Pent 4 with 512 mb of Ram (2 sticks). Win XP HE. It had AVG Virus protection 7.5 Free edition. CPU temp. 105 degrees via the bios.

At the begining it was randomly shuting down and restarting, most often when first starting up but at times later in the day and also sometimes hours later, then again sometimes not shuting down the rest of the day. When I first looked at the PC this 2.6 machine was running about as fast as a AMD 500 socket seven. There were all kinds of programs, games and etc. in start up and a multiude of different programs doing basicly the same thing or trying to (still not running like a 2.6).

Upon running adware detection programs and virus scans we first found several but not high issue infections. We quarinteed and deleted them. Only to find several would return. We deleted them several times and subsiquently figured out those returning appeared to be associated with a free downloaded card game and reappeard when the game was played. The game was deleted and now we no longer have the worms or whatever they are showing up. Still the shut down problem continued but there are no longer any type of virus elements showing up.

After reading the above referenced thread I deleted the AVG program. Shut downs still showed up.
I also went in and set it up so the results of the restart would display the problem as also reflected in the above referenced thread, on the BSOD. Here is the results : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (looks familiar) along with ***Stop: OXOOOOOO50 (OxE494DOOO, OxOOOOOOOO, Ox804F6719, Ox00000001). This is the same information we get every time.

We no longer have it attached to the internet and a second exact same computer, components and everything is working just fine. Both units, prior to this problem, had been working just fine for some length of time. They are not mine but a neighbors. I do have a different video card I'm about to switch out and see if that works, if that would seem reaonable. I have switched out the Power Supply with a known good, in fact superior one. Same problem.

HP is very limited in their BIOS as to what you can control compared to many, so some of the items suggested in the other thread were not available to deal with. Seeing that some of my numbers are different I was thinking, (hoping) an evaluation by far more experienced website members may give us a quick answer. If not I'll continue on with those being suggested on the referenced thread.

One specific different issue we have, I believe, is that if we are in the "SAFE MODE", it has never crashed or restarted, wouldn't this fact indicate the problem to be software rather than hardware??

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:01 PM

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Here's a few things to check out:
TROUBLESHOOTING WINDOWS STOP MESSAGES
Scroll down to, 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, and see if any of the suggestions help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:34 PM

Here's a link to the STOP error: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

The first thing to try would be a memory test. Here's a free one: http://www.memtest86.com/

Run the test for at least 2 or 3 passes - stop it if errors start showing up.

If you only have 1 stick of memory - try it in each different slot to help to rule out a bad slot.

If you have more than 1 stick of memory, test each one individually. Then, take the good one (if you have one) and test it in the other slots. If you don't have a good one, then test all sticks in all the slots.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ldg

ldg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:07 PM

Thank you, Usasma and tg1911, I did see these where you posted them in the other thread earlier (should have tried them before I wrote another thread). Will try these suggestions, maybe tomorrow and get back to both of you with the results. At my age sometimes you have trips to the DR. that come before computers. After tomorrow I will be gone for a few days so if I don't get back with the results right away I will get back a few days later. THANK YOU Both.

#5 ldg

ldg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:26 PM

Ran the memory test as suggested but for 14 hrs. not one error. Will continue with other suggestions.

#6 HotSauce6226

HotSauce6226

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:57 AM

how long before it restarts

#7 Cozy

Cozy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:56 AM

Hey ldg if you try something that you have found on your own to fix your computer can you please let me know? As I am still having issues with mine, and am at ends wits :thumbsup: Thanks :flowers:

#8 masterofmind1969

masterofmind1969

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:39 PM

Memroy slots can go bad too. Take out all your memory and stick one memory into each slot testing each memory slot. It sounds like a memory or cpu issue is the cpu running hot?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:23 PM

Memory isn't the only thing that can cause this - it's just the most common.

The next most common thing is a misbehaving program. I'd suggest checking your Event Viewer (Start...Run...type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) for errors in the different sections. Let us know what errors that you find.

Another cause is malfunctioning drivers. I'd suggest visiting http://www.driveragent.com/ (you should use IE) and letting it examine your drivers. Let us know which one's it says are outdated and we'll suggest some fixes.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 ldg

ldg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:17 PM

Okay, back from the Hospital issues and on with this problem. Usasma, I will be doing both of your suggestions in the next two hours.

Your's too Masterofmind1969.

Cozy I most certainly will let you know but how about us making that a two way street :-).

HotSauce6226, it varies, sometimes it will crash all most as soon as you fire her up and again sometimes it will work for up to 15 minutes before it first crashes, but more often it has crashed when it is first started up (within 5 to 10 min) and then several times after that to only turn right around and not crashed for hours (after the several crashes at the beginning that maybe from 5 to 15 minutes apart).

I most certainly thank all of you for the suggestions and support.

#11 ldg

ldg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:25 PM

Usasma, I run "eventvwr.msc" as suggested. Of the Application, Security, System and Internet Explorer headings the only one that reflected "Errors" was System. It reflected errors under event of 7000, 7001 and 7012. Others that reflected events appreared to reflect on issues do to our not being hooked up to the internet and that we have removed our virus protection.

7000 - The mtRate service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

7001 - The Security Center Service depends on the Windows Management instrumentation Service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

7012 - Message returned in transaction has incorrect size.

When I went back historically the 7000 and 7001 events seem to be the primary errors. If you need more or I have given you wrong data please let me know. To complete the other suggestion I need to connect to the internet. Right now, even when I went back to get this information I need to go into Safe Mode to run the program as the PC gave us that same BSOD with the same error message again only 2 to 3 minutes into running this program. Thx.

#12 ldg

ldg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:50 PM

Usasma, I was able to run the "eventvwr.msc" program while I was in the normal mode (as opposed to Safe Mode) and the only error reflected was under SYSTEM and it was:

"The mtRate service failed to start do to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified"

#13 ldg

ldg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:42 AM

When I got the BSOD with my PC shut down this morning I recieved a new reference number in my message. Stop: 0x00000050 (0xE3AE7000 rather than 0xE494D000 as before) this is the first time I have noticed a change in these numbers since I posted them in the orginal message. What I did this AM was to remove one of the memory sticks and was running on only one when this occured. Does this tell us anything? Well not me but does it say anything to someone else out there? Thx. (At this point any change or something different is worth getting excited over :-).

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:17 AM

Try this to reconstruct your pagefile: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic71367.html#

I'm concerned about the Security error that you mentioned. I'd suggest a scan of your system using this free, online scanner: http://safety.live.com (requires IE).

#15 ldg

ldg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:03 PM

Usasma, I tried what you have posted above but I can not stay on the net long enough to benefit from the information you provided before I crash back to the BSOD. What I have noticed also is the one reference of number and letter series does change with almost every crash but sometimes is the same. I now have the following additional reference information which is displayed directly after "Stop: 0x00000050" (OxE494D000 or OxE3AE7000 or OxE3AE8000 or OxE35AE000) but the first one displayed above, the Ox50 and these last three, Ox00000000, Ox804F6719, and 0x00000001 always remain the same.

Are we allowed to use these things for anchors?? The Lake is real close. Not giving up but I am about ready to put in this extra harddrive I have here and see if the problem comes with it, then I know its software or hardware but that will not give the neighbor access to all the files, pictures and music he has on this one, which is really what I'm trying to do. Looking up and finding all the HP drivers to ensure all the hardware works is also fun sometimes. Thanks again for the suggestions and I will be going back over everything again and any additional help will most certainly be appreciated :-).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users