Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound And Vista...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Marcello

Marcello

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:09 AM

Hi guys,

Need help, and you guys are usually pretty good.

My System:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 3800+ 2.01 GHz
1023 mb RAM
A8N-SLI Deluxe -UAY Mobo, [NF4, SKT-939, PCIE x2, SND, GBLAN, RAID, SATA]
Xpert Vision 6600GT PCI-E 256MB Graphics Card
Creative SB Audigy Value 24 Bit, 7.1

Plus a speed Touch PCI Modem which is also not work and I know wont have drivers built for it anyway. Thanks Alcatel...

Problem:

Alright, like very many over eager fools I bought Vista Home Premium to upgrade from XP. When I did so I soon realised I'd have problems as I was running XP Pro and so was supposed to have Vista Business or something to carry all my settings and files over. I couldn't be stuffed taking it back to change it for the business one so I put all my important files on my Gigabeat and then did the installation of vista. Once it rebooted it wasn't long before I realised that my ADSL modem wasn't working and that I had no sound. I think I still have to identify my vid card too, though vista is running very well all things considered so maybe it's still ok.

Once I found out from Alcatel that they aren't keen to make drivers for the PCI ADSL modem I have (they even tried suggesting some other products of their's...! As if I were gonna suddenly start buying their products again!!) I gave up on that and am now concerning myself with the sound factor, or lack thereof. I am connecting to the internet via the network socket and my housemate's external modem, but I haven't entered my ISP settings so I don't know why it's working, but hey, who am I to question???

So here's what I've done so far to fix my sound problems, but nothing's worked and now I'm stumped as to what to do:

1) I tried to use the cd I was given when I purchased the computer in Feb last year. Didn't work. The drivers installed after I got around the whole "not compatible with this version of windows", but I have no sound, even though in device manager it says it's working properly.

2) I then downloaded Vista Beta drivers from Creative and they too didn't work though I was assured once again by Device Manager that this hardware was working properly. I even played some music on WMedia and I could see the equaliser levels rising to the beat of the music, but there was nothing coming out of the speakers.

3) Downloaded another more recent version of Vista Beta drivers from creative. Again the same result. By the way there are a lot of angry people on their forum, though many have sound, though arn't happy with their quality or accessories, which I couldn't give a stuff about.... I just want sound! Any would be good.

4) So I then thought I'd try and enable the AC97 onboard sound thingy on my mobo and I downloaded upgraded drivers for it from realtek like I'd read somewhere. It all installed great, but once again though it all looks fine everywhere I look, and while I've moved the jack here and there to see if the music is coming from somewhere else (I even used my walkman headphones to see if it WAS my speakers that were buggered, but nothing issued forth...) but there wasn't. Oh, and I had gone into BIOS to enable the onboard thingy.

5) In exasperation I've emailed you guys to see if anyone knows what the hell to do.

I know there are a lot of issues with Vista. I just hope I don't have to wait 'til the first service pack in 6 months time to fix all these stupid errors. I aint buying new hardware - this computer's not even a year old!

Any help would be super.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:43 AM

This may be a silly question...but you made sure the volume was turned up within vista and not muted right?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:55 AM

This doesn't sound like a Vista or a hardware issue (because your sound is working, it's just not squirting it out of the speakers) - rather it sounds like a setting somewhere that's not checked or selected. Try checking in Control Panel for the options in the Sound panel. Also try checking the options available for the devices in Device Manager.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:03 AM

The beta drivers for your Audigy card may not be running properly or have issues with other hardware. I have read on Creative's forums that some people are able to use them just fine whereas others have all kinds of issues. Mine work, even though they're beta too, but I do hear some crackling in the background in certain sound environments.

3939.png

#5 Marcello

Marcello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:41 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

It's finally working. I don't know exactly what happened, but it all seems alright at the moment. I noticed that the drivers I'm running now aren't the vista beta ones, but are from version 5.12.1.512 from 2005. I guess when I tried to re-install the drivers that came on the cdrom with the card they didn't work the first time, which is what sent me on a search for newer ones. I wont bother with the vista ones for the time being. I've disabled ac97 and it's all good.

Now, maybe I'll be able to get the speed touch pc modem working somehow...

Thanks again anyway, guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users