Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hdd Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dbonniwell

dbonniwell

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:35 AM

:thumbsup: Hello,
I am Dbonniwell and I am new to this forum. Thanks for letting me on.

I will be upgading my system here this weekend.
Plan to change out the motherboard, cpu cpu fan,video card and add some card readers. See below
The mother board I am using has only one IDE connector and 8 SATA connectors. I do not want to discard the two IDE HDDs Master and Slave for my own reasons, however I am open to buying a SATA HDD for gaming purposes to take advantage of the higher transfer rates with a SATA HDD.
Would the following configuration work?

1 Buy an IDE PCI controller card and connect that to the IDE HDDs.
2. Connect the DVD and CD drive to the one IDE connection on the motherboard
Now the kicker
3. Buy a SATA HDD and connect that to one of the SATA connections on the motherboard. Put all games on the SATA drive.

Will this give me the faster transfer rate when gaming? or will I be slowed down by the IDE HDDs? I understand there are other ways seeming easier to get to this goal, but but I do not know how to clone or do I know how to set up a dual boot system like it is now. Really need some insight.
Thanks

Recent Change to
Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2
Memory: 2x1gig Corsair 800mhz
CPU: Intel e6600 2.4ghz
Video card: ATI X1950
OS: Dual boot, Win XP Japanese Pro (Main), and English XP Home version
HDD:Maxtor 40gig Master Original HDD and 250gig Seagate Slave both IDE
Floppy Drive: ???
DVD: Plextor 760A
CD: Liteon
Sound blaster sound card
Power Supply: Enermax 500W
Monitor: View Sonic 19inch G90f

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:37 AM

A first thing comes to mind which is : If change your MoBo do you realize you won't be able to validate Windows?

#3 dbonniwell

dbonniwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:47 AM

I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:06 AM

Hard drives are the bottleneck, not the interface, meaning the going from PATA to SATA will give next to no performance increase, unless you also upgrade to a high-performance drive like a WD Raptor.

An option worth looking into is getting a SATA DVD-drive.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 dbonniwell

dbonniwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:48 AM

Question is will the IDE drives slow up the SATA drive when gaming? Or will there be no notisable change? this is what I am looking for.
thanks

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 04:21 AM

Not at all. They will have no effect whatsoever.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users