Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Information

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jennii

jennii

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:21 AM

Hi all,

I was in a while back about problems with my computer in the hot weather.

I found this information when my computer said it wasn't closed down properly,now I don't know if it's relevant but here is what I read.

Fan Control Disabled
x fan speed ratio 10/15
xSpeedup/down response time 4 secs/8 secs

Now I don't know how to get in and find this again, was curious about it, could someone let me know if what is written there is at fault or not.

jennii

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:51 AM

What is the make amd model of your computer if it is proprietary (Dell, HP/Compaq or etc.) or what motherboard if custom built? That appears to be due to a Bios setting.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 jennii

jennii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:30 AM

What is the make amd model of your computer if it is proprietary (Dell, HP/Compaq or etc.) or what motherboard if custom built? That appears to be due to a Bios setting.

I have a lot of information some you may not need but I don't know how else to do it

K7XP2600R 1 AMD ATHLON XP 2600+
A7N8X-X 1 ASUS AA7N8X-X NFORCE2 SND SINGLE CHANNEL
DDR256PC2700 1 256MB DDR RAM PC2700 (DDR333)
WD400BB 1 WD 40G 7200RPM UATA100 HDD (80G now)
VCFX5200 1 128MB GEFORCE FX5200 DDR AGP8X

Hope this is what you wanted to know......jennii

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:03 AM

I am having problems trying to download the manual at AsusTek Support. When starting the computer keep tapping the Delete key until your Bios screen shows. Navigate through the different sections for Q-Fan. There should be an option to Enable/Disable this feature. Set it to Enabled. When done Save and Exit the settings.

I am not positive about this option seeing as I can't downlaod the manual.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 04 February 2007 - 11:04 AM.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 jennii

jennii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:48 PM

Terrorist_75. I have done as suggested, got in to Bios, and enabled the Q fan, it didn't make any difference
so it looks like I will have to make the best of it with the cool weather, and stay off when it hits the 38-40c
once the house cools down everything is ok....weird computer I have lol. jennii

#6 jennii

jennii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

Meant to add...thanks for the prompt response and your help jennii

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:20 PM

Terrorist_75. I have done as suggested, got in to Bios, and enabled the Q fan, it didn't make any difference
so it looks like I will have to make the best of it with the cool weather, and stay off when it hits the 38-40c
once the house cools down everything is ok....weird computer I have lol. jennii

38-40C isn't hot for any processor. It may be of a concern if it starts going over 60-65C. My AMD XP 2400+ is running quite happily at 41C right now with a motherboard temp of 30C. This proccesor has seen 54C when the motherboard temps are nearing 42C. When it gets extremely hot here in August I aim a small desk fan at the inside of the computer (side cover removed).

Get Your Donor Card

#8 jennii

jennii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:13 PM

We noticed when we had the BIOS up that the temp in my computer was 70c(163f) so there must be something very wrong with that..I have it working well for yesterday and today as the weather here is 27c and I left it running overnight and it stayed on...I have a desk fan running when it starts to heat up weather-
wise, it is near an open window but I have yet to remove the sides, which we will try next.
jennii

#9 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:52 PM

Is that the processor temp or motherboard temp? If it's the motherboard temp then the airflow is poor through the case. Is the computer shoved in a cubby hole in a desk or out in the open? If so move it to where the vents aren't blocked and the air can flow freely in and out of it. Has it been dusted out recently? If that is the processor temp has then fan and heatsink been cleaned of dust buildup? When was the last time the thermal paste had been changed?

Download and install Everest.

With Everest open click on the + next to Computer then click on Sensor and see what the temp readings are. If they differ from the Bios then the Bios readings may be erroneous.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 06 February 2007 - 06:52 PM.

Get Your Donor Card

#10 jennii

jennii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:21 PM

I have d/l Everest and have all the information about my computer, I have no wish to put all that in the forum..perhaps I can send it directly to you via email. I really have no idea what I'm looking at perhaps
you can see and if necessary let me know all is well..please let me know your email address

jennii

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:32 PM

No need to share email addresses jennii. You can send the information via Personal Message (PM) through these forums.

If you are unsure or do not know how to PM. See the following link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/33018/how-to-use-and-send-personal-messages/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:19 AM

The only information (Temperatures and Cooling fans) needed from Everest is that shown below. You can just type the information in a reply.

Posted Image

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 07 February 2007 - 11:20 AM.

Get Your Donor Card

#13 jennii

jennii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:51 PM

I would like to thank everyone who tried to help with this problem.

jennii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users