Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashplayer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gidget

gidget

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:33 AM

I've been having alot of problems with my Flashplayer on my XP Pro. I'm using the very latest version 9.0 but on certain sites I go to I'll get a pop up saying Flashplayer has performed an illegal operation and tells me to shutdown and restart Firefox. I've been in Mozilla's forum reading everything about fixing this problem and have followed all the suggestions made but keep getting the pop up's on certain sites. My question is how secure is version 9 cause while I was in Windows Explorer I noticed there's a shared objects subfolder underneath the Macromedia directory for Flashplayer in Documents & Settings and inside the shared objects folder were names of sites I had been to, one in particular where I watched videos at YouTube which requires Flash to watch their videos. I've also gone to Adobe and repeately set security settings in the Flashplayer Privacy Settings Manager to disallow third party flash content to store data on my computer but why am I still seeing the name of sites I've visited in this shared objects for Flash? When I go back to Adobe/Macromedia and look in the Privacy settings there's a checkmark back in there again in the box showing where I will allow third party content. I have played with those settings trying to deny sites until I'm blue in the face. Is there some kind of registry change you can make so this shared object folder for flash can be edited so you don't have to worry about security for Flash? I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I know there's always been a security risk using Flash...is there a way to tighten up security for Flash other than what I've done already? I have a MySpace profile with slideshows, images and one video that requires Flash, am I at risk because I need it on my webpage? Or is it possible there's a bug in version 9 cause I know there was security problems in version 8 Flashplayer. I hope someone can shed some light on this subject. I want to make sure nothing's getting in my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:21 AM

Posted Image to BC gidget. Try the following :

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:

* Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
* Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
* Under Browsing History, click "Delete".
* Click "Delete Files", "Delete cookies" and "Delete history"
* Click Close below.

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have Firefox installed):

* Go to Tools > Options.
* Click Privacy in the menu..
* Click the Clear now button below.. A new window will popup what to clear.
* Select all and click the Clear button again.
* Click OK to close the Options window

* Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin

* Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
* Let it scan your system for files to remove.
* Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
* Press OK to remove them.

Step 2

Have you done this?
and this?

#3 gidget

gidget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:40 AM

I know all about the Flashplayer Global Settings Manager and have been in there several times setting the way I want to deny websites from storing any data on my page but just as soon as I come across a site that requires Flash, in particular YouTube, I'll go back into the Flashplayer Settings Manager and my settings have changed and there's a checkmark back in the box saying I will allow third parties to store data content on my computer. I'll take that slide bar and push it to NONE, put a checkmark in the box saying Never ask me again but these settings don't seem to stick and that's why I was asking was there a bug in Flashplayer 9. I know I'm doing everything right but when I see names of a couple sites I've gone right there as pretty as can be in the Shared Objects folder for Macromedia/Flashplayer in my Windows Explorer that's when I can't understand what's going on.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:58 AM

Dop you have the same settings in IE?

#5 gidget

gidget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:03 AM

Firefox is my default browser so I don't use IE, how do I look at the Flash settings for it?

#6 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:24 AM

What add-ons do you have installed in Firefox?

Under Extra options contents it says something like "how FF deals with certain filetypes " (Sorry for my bad english ) What does it say there?

#7 gidget

gidget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:49 AM

The only two extensions I'm using for FF is NoScript and AdBlock Plus. Where is that Extra Options located at in FF v2.0.0.1 that you want me to look at? I can't find that in there.

#8 gidget

gidget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:54 AM

I found it...everything in there is only showing for extensions opening with Windows Media Player, nothing about Flashplayer.

#9 gidget

gidget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:23 AM

I just opened up a Firefox window and typed in about:plugins into the address bar and it's showing the plugin for Shockwave Flash 9.0r28 and the dll NPSWF32.dll and that it's enabled.

#10 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:02 AM

So are you ok now?

#11 gidget

gidget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:55 PM

It looks like I have finally got the Privacy & Security Settings Manager for Flash Player working cause some sites I've been to that require flash are showing they are being denied to store third party content on my computer. I had the hardest time getting those settings to stick everytime I checked deny and removed the checkmark not allowing anyone to store content or any access to my camera/microphone, the settings would revert back and allow sites to do it but now I think I've finally got it fixed.

Thanks to all those who've helped me...this is a great forum!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users