Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blinking Hd Light

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JerryS

JerryS

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a Dell Dimension E521 with Windows XP Home Edition OS. I have noticed that the light indicating the hard drive is being accessed blinks all the time. My old HP ( Win 98) didn't do this. Is this an XP thing or is there a problem? I have Norton security suite installed and use Adaware And Spy Bot. No viruses shown.

Thanks
Jerry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:10 AM

The blinking LED is indicating that it is constantly working. Norton security suite is what we call a resource hogger meaning it is taking the speed out of your computer. What you could is is download process explorer from the freeware link in my sig and try to determine what is keeping your PC busy.

Are you using P2P applications like Limewire?

#3 JerryS

JerryS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:23 AM

The blinking LED is indicating that it is constantly working. Norton security suite is what we call a resource hogger meaning it is taking the speed out of your computer. What you could is is download process explorer from the freeware link in my sig and try to determine what is keeping your PC busy.

Are you using P2P applications like Limewire?

No, I am not running any P2P apps. I downloaded "What's Running" from your link. It didn't show anything unusual running. The blinking light is a constant blink at one second intervals. Like it is monitoring for something. Could the optical drives Auto Play feature cause this?

#4 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:29 AM

To rule out any malware issues try this online scan Take the long one and post back any results before we continue researching your problem. Is your computer slowish?

#5 JerryS

JerryS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:51 PM

To rule out any malware issues try this online scan Take the long one and post back any results before we continue researching your problem. Is your computer slowish?

I performed the online scan at Windows Live One Care website. It showed no malware present.
My computer shows no signs of speed degradation.
There is no audible sound of the hard drive being accessed when the light blinks.

#6 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:21 PM

As a followup to fozzie's suggestion about Norton AV, try booting up in safemode, disconnect your physical connection to the internet, and shutting down Norton AV. Check Task Manager to ensure Norton AV is not running. Does the HD light continue to blink at predetermined intervals?
drymobius

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:04 PM

FWIW, the HD light on my Dell 5150 blinked for about a month before the main power supply fan died.(Then the proper diagnostic lights came on!)

Are you comfortable with taking the side of the HD case off and having a really close listen to your fans to make sure they are operating smoothly?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 JerryS

JerryS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:03 PM

FWIW, the HD light on my Dell 5150 blinked for about a month before the main power supply fan died.(Then the proper diagnostic lights came on!)

Are you comfortable with taking the side of the HD case off and having a really close listen to your fans to make sure they are operating smoothly?

Yes, the fans seem to be operating ok. I had dinner tonight with my son-in-law and he has two Dell computers similar to mine. One online with AV he uses and one offline, no AV, the kids use. He told me both of his do the same thing. He had noticed it but figured it was normal since both computers blinked. Apparently this is not an unusual occurence. Would still like to know why, though.

Thanks for all your time and effort.

Jerry

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:25 AM

It might be the disk indexing service that is causing the constant HDD use. You can disable it if you want.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 JerryS

JerryS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:08 PM

It might be the disk indexing service that is causing the constant HDD use. You can disable it if you want.

I have that disabled. Someone told me it wasn't my Hard Drive being accessed but my IDE connection(?)

I have no idea what that is, can anyone explain?

Thanks
Jerry

#11 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:46 AM

Here andhereis some reading material

#12 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:24 AM

To be honest if your drive is being accessed all of the time I would say it would be a good idea to have a look at the currently running processes and see which one is the culprit. It maybe that Spyware is accessing it or it could be a scheduled task for erasing unused space on the disk. Some applications like Eraser 5.8 can have scheduled tasks that run at certain times. Not very likely but it is something to look out for.
Use a program called SIW to have a look at what the processes that are running and what they are used for. This may help in finding out what is accessing the disk.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users