Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Freezing For No Apparent Reason

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 milz45

milz45

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

Hello,
I'm having some issues with windows explorer and 'my computer' freezing. I can open explorer without problems and I can even use it to navigate through my drives, find files, open files, etc ... but this only lasts for about a few minutes or so. Then it locks up and the window goes white. Task manager says 'no response' so I have to kill it and open a new explorer which, again, will only work for a few minutes before locking up. I've done some searches on this issue. I've seen some complaints from folks where explorer would freeze during right-click or in folders with certain media files, but I've not found that to be the case here. I've ran spybot, ad-aware, and norton with no problems. This is the only issue I'm aware of with my computer.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:34 AM

You didn't mention running any antivirus scans, only anti-spyware. Do a full scan with your antivirus and see if it picks anything up.

#3 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 01:07 AM

Explorer has a default priority of "normal" just like any user application. But Explorer is often very busy-displaying folder windows, maintaining the desktop, presenting text,graphics, and photos,etc. Therefore when the system becomes stressed due to memory, or more commonly, CPU load; Explorer is often the first "application" to take the hit. Background processes(and "Services") often have cycles of activity-checking for updates, etc. Perhaps some of your background processes are responsible for occaisional CPU spikes? Can you trim your "Starts with Windows" list? If you find ctfmon.exe running, be aware that it is often a major culprit in this regard. See my post for more information and how to turn it off: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1167888467 Also, if you are using Norton System Works with Speed Disc be aware that the speed disc "Service" is very CPU intensive. It's process is labeled NOPDB.exe. Must be controled from Administrative Tools>Services. Read here for good overview of XP Services: http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:12 AM

Another possibility is that you do not have enough RAM. How much RAM do you have on your system?
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:28 AM

You didn't mention running any antivirus scans, only anti-spyware. Do a full scan with your antivirus and see if it picks anything up.

The TS ran Norton.. Please try following :

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:

* Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
* Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
* Under Browsing History, click "Delete".
* Click "Delete Files", "Delete cookies" and "Delete history"
* Click Close below.

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have Firefox installed):

* Go to Tools > Options.
* Click Privacy in the menu..
* Click the Clear now button below.. A new window will popup what to clear.
* Select all and click the Clear button again.
* Click OK to close the Options window

* Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin

* Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
* Let it scan your system for files to remove.
* Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
* Press OK to remove them.

Secondly please advise which version of Java you have ( START CONTROL PANEL SOFTWARE look for Java entries)

#6 milz45

milz45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:41 PM

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back on this one. 2yr old's birthday, it's been hectic.

Orange Blossom, I have 512MB of RAM.

Fozzie, I've followed all of your steps. I wasn't able to tell what version of Java, however. I couldn't find a 'software' option under the control panel. Any other way to find this info? I still have the problem after running through these steps. Any other ideas on what might be going one?

Thank you!

#7 milz45

milz45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:32 PM

I haven't heard anything on this one for a while. If someone has time and can help me fix this it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!!

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:25 AM

On the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click Start, and then click Run.

Type: cmd

At the command prompt, type: jview
If a message displays information about Java, you have the MSJVM installed on your computer.
If a message displays 'Jview' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file, you do not have the MSJVM installed on your computer.

Also check THIS page and post back the result.

Edited by fozzie, 21 February 2007 - 02:27 AM.

#9 milz45

milz45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:40 AM

fozzie,
I typed the jview command. It was recognized. Here's the output ...
"Microsoft ® Command-line Loader for Java Version 5.00.3810"

#10 milz45

milz45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:00 PM

I'm still having this problem ... windows explorer completely locks after a few minutes of navigating through my files. It doesn't seem to happen on any particular folder or anything. It always happens, so at least it's consistent. Can someone please help me!! This is becoming a major paint. Thanks in advance for any help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users