Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cod2 Fps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 silly

silly

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:21 PM

hey guys, i have been trying fps configs that raise my fps 20 but is not constant. i have a geforce 6600 agp, intel celeron 2.80 ghz, 512 ram. i need atleast 100-125 please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:19 AM

Lets see here. I was able to dig this up.

Minimum System Requirements

- 3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible 64 MB Hardware Accelerator video card and the latest drivers*
- English version of Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP
- Pentium® IV 1.4GHz or AMD Athlon™ XP 1700+
- 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)
- 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers.
- 100% Windows® 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
- 4.0GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 600MB for Windows® 2000/XP swap file)
- 8x Speed CD-ROM drive or 2x DVD-ROM drive

Multiplayer Requirements:
- Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported
- Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers
- LAN play requires network interface card and latest drivers

Important Note: *Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipset listed here may not be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by Call of Duty® 2. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatibility.

This product does not support Microsoft® Windows® 95/98*Grinler or NT.

SUPPORTED CHIPSETS:
- ATI® Radeon® 8500
- ATI® Radeon® 9000
- ATI® Radeon® 9200
- ATI® Radeon® 9500
- ATI® Radeon® 9600
- ATI® Radeon® 9700
- ATI® Radeon® 9800
- ATI® Radeon® X300
- ATI® Radeon® X550
- ATI® Radeon® X600
- ATI® Radeon® X700
- ATI® Radeon® X800
- ATI® Radeon® X850
- nVidia® GeForce™2 Ultra
- All nVidia® GeForce™ 3/Ti Series
- All nVidia® GeForce™ 4/Ti Series
- All nVidia® GeForce™ FX Series
- All nVidia® GeForce™ 6 Series
- Recommended nVidia® GeForce™ 7 Series or higher

NOTICE: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some disc and virtual drives.

I guess the most obvious thing is, have you tweaked the video settings (like resolution and Anti-Aliasing)? Also, is there anything running in the background that could be slowing anything down? I've never played Call of Duty 2 (apart from 30 minutes on the Xbox 360 version) so I'm not sure how it ought to run to what you want with your specs. You're pretty close to the lower requirements so I wouldn't expect the game to run perfectly, especially at least 120.

Edited by Wizdabest, 03 February 2007 - 12:21 AM.

#3 silly

silly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:54 AM

everything is tweaked, ive seen people with lower specs get atleast 125.

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:09 PM

Well, you say everything is tweaked so I'm not really sure what else to suggest. Since you've already tweaked your settings, the guide I'm going to link may or may not be much help, but I guess it's worth a try?

http://www.tweakguides.com/COD2_1.html

*edit*
I just noticed this at the end of the guide when I was jumping around.

Call of Duty 2 FPS Boost

In what happens to be an excellent (and now well-known) discovery, myshkinbob over at the NVNews Forums discovered two important facts regarding Call of Duty 2's performance under DX9. Read his thread for the full story, but basically his discovery centers around two important settings in Call of Duty 2:

# There appears to be a fault of some kind with the way the engine applies the texture settings (the r_picmip-based commands). Thus, each time a new map loads up, you can get a noticeable performance boost if you change the r_picmip value from its current value, use the r_applypicmip command, and then reset the r_picmip setting back to its desired value and again use r_applypicmip. This must be done every time a new map loads up, and myshkinbob has created a set of files you can use to do this - see his thread for details.

# There is a problem with the r_gpusync command, which should be set to 0 for single card graphics users, however it instead defaults to 3 for all users. Setting this command back to 0 should provide another performance boost for single-card graphics users (SLI users should leave it at 3). You can simply add "+seta r_gpusync 0" (without quotes) to your startup icon(s) if you want to quickly apply this fix, or insert it into your autoexec.cfg file.

Now that these issues have been identified, it should be relatively straightforward for Infinity Ward to address them in an upcoming patch. They are just a case of incorrect settings being applied at initialization of the graphics engine, and not a major bug in the course of things. However appreciation goes to myshkinbob for picking these up and letting everyone know about them, as the performance boost from these two changes can make a real difference on most peoples' machines.

Update: Earl Hammon, Jr from Infinity Ward has written to me to explain the r_gpusync issue. Basically the game's developers are aware of the additional FPS possible when r_gpusync is disabled (set to 0), however because this setting controls the synchronization of the CPU and GPU (your graphics card(s)), disabling this can also introduce input (mouse/keyboard) lag. This is because your input can at times be processed by the CPU faster than it can be drawn on screen. So on balance they chose the default of r_gpusync = 3 to maintain synchronization while still giving good performance. The same situation (input lag) can occur if the 'Optimize for SLI' or r_multigpu setting is enabled.

Update 2: The r_picmip issue discussed above has been resolved as of the 1.2 Patch, and there is no longer any need to use the manual method to fix this issue.

Edited by Wizdabest, 03 February 2007 - 02:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users