Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aix Unix....?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OylE

OylE

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:33 PM

Howdy!

I just had an interview for a job yesterday at a local company. Their main issue is that they want to migrate from their current AIX Unix system, which they admit is old, to a more modern system. Being an MCSE, I naturally recomeneded Windows 2000/2003.

I asked them about the size of the company. They have their corporate office here in town; they have sales agents over the rest of the country, that just VPN into the corporate office here in town.

So I have like, no experience with AIX. I know about some of the other distros of Linux:Red Hat 8, Knoppix, DSL, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Mandrake.

Does anyone know of any sites where I can read up on AIX and it's structure, and what would be involved in migrating from AIX over to Windows? Exactly how old is AIX? The company will turn 40 years old this year. Time for a change, I think.

Thanks a lot!
:thumbsup:

Edited by OylE, 02 February 2007 - 08:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:47 PM

I dunno about AIX, but I do know that there is plenty of Linux server software. Since Server 2003 runs about a grand to install on five units, I'd think they'd balk at such huge sums of money. Companies switching to Linux are saving about 80% of their IT costs.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:15 AM

A little info on AIX Unix

Wikipedia - AIX Unix

IBM's Page

Hope these help

Posted Image

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:44 AM

Yeah, it's basically one of the "official" UNIXes, so the more familiarity you have with the CLI and various shells the better off you'll be. I believe it uses the Common Desktop Environment (CDE) as a GUI, so you can familiarize yourself with that if you'll be working with the GUI. I think you can get that on Sun's Solaris OS, also a true UNIX OS.
Posted Image

#5 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:33 AM

Oyle;

I may not understand your questions correctly, however, so far I have read 3 of your posts. All seemed to be either provocative or linux degrading type statements. Posting questions such as how to migrate from linux to windows server applications in a Linux forum could even be viewed by some as antagonistic. To me, a windows forum would be the more appropriate place to ask those sort of questions. Having said that, Many linux users/administartors would probably be more than happy to explain to you how to do the migration, which, for even a slightly experienced/educated administrator, to be honest, is quite simple work really.

I don't question your right to prefer windows over linux, it is your right, and you should like whatever you wish. I am questioning the motives of an avid windows fan in a linux forum, always trying to circle back to the "windows rules" type statements.

You are correct that 90% of the market is cornered by MS products, 7% to Apple and 3% to *nix. I am not trying to argue the statistical fact or eveidence, or to be honest, even argue with you. Linux is on the rise now. It's usage is much higher than ever and growing. I could sit here and bash MS for all of the security holes and coding that leads to many of it's disadveantages. But, that's pointless, because it's just as easy to point out compatibility issues with *nix, the relative obscurity, and to some degree, application availability. These seem to be the biggest issues behing most MS v *nix debates I have read. Both are innaccurate and fail to address the real advantages/disadvantages of the OS themselves.

Anyway, to make a long post short, why would you do that?
All I have to say is http://iowaconsumercase.org/index.html

If I have it all wrong, then I apologize in advance.
Also, if I have stepped outside of my allowable conduct for a board member then I apologize to the mods and admins of this site as well.

Edited by Joedude, 05 February 2007 - 04:45 AM.

If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users