Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Shrink Partiton Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobcast

bobcast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:15 PM

I have vista ultimage x86 installed on another partion

xp was on the disk first

xp partion is like a 100g
vista is like 20

:huh: tried to shrink xp's 100g using vistas partion management tool, but it won't let me shrink the xp partion?

Anyone know why? does it have anything to do with pagefiles or the like?

looked at pagefiles under vista, it only showed one for the vista partion.

Any help is greatly appreciated :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:50 AM

Have you defragged the partition from within XP? How full is the XP partition?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:12 AM

The vista partition tool is limited to protecting the user from him\herself.
Read the introduction here. First line under "When resizing volumes in Windows Vista you must be aware of the following criteria:"

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,592 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:00 AM

I am assuming your XP partition is a NTFS one? Also pagefiles are unmoveable and thus cant be shrunk. THey are also usually hidden so make sure you are viewing all system files before you determine whether there is one there or not.

#5 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:24 PM

I've been having the same problem, because there were some odd locked system files randomly fragmented throughout my drive. This seriously limited my shrinking capability. I downloaded a try-before-you-buy app, Raxco PerfectDisk 2008 and it has the ability to initiate defragging of system files on the next reboot. This system file defragging process itself may be native to Vista, but I'm not that savvy to be able to say for sure.

Anyways, it worked and I was able to shrink the partition as expected (note: this was with an active pagefile at 1.5GB).
My next method to try if that didn't work was to chop up the partition with a GParted LiveCD, which may or may not have caused reliability issues.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users